English grammar is simply too complex to memorize... What is

I’ve noticed many things about English as well when learning German. I even learned some English words I never knew existed. Case in point: “forsook”.

Locally I’ve noticed that “simply” in this context would be replaced by “just”. Almost always. It’s just easier.

“Like the German particle words?”

Well, it’s not a particle, but I guess your cmparison makes sense^^

“I’ve noticed many things about English as well when learning German. I even learned some English words I never knew existed. Case in point: “forsook”.”

I don’t think that’s German though^^
Maybe Danish or Norwegian?

Ach, jo. If I were an English learner, I would be afraid to ask a question on this forum lest it set off a 5-day discussion!!

Here’s a quote which may help clarify the fine distinctions in the use of the adverb “simply.”
See what you think. Which meaning is the one used in this instance? […is simply too complex…]

1.a : nothing more than : only, merely, or just
Simply add water to the mix and stir.
Simply click on the computer icon and follow the directions.
If he continues to bother you, simply ignore him.

b : without any question — used to stress the simple truth of a description or statement
That is simply [=just] not true.
The opera was simply marvelous.
She simply can’t sing.

2.a : in a way that is clear and understandable
The instructions are simply written.

b : in a way that is plain or not fancy or complicated
She dresses simply.
simply drawn figures
He lived simply on the farm.

c : in a way that is direct and uses few words
The diner is called simply “Joe’s.”
“Sorry, I can’t help you,” he said simply.
The problem, put simply, is money.

English grammar is too complex to memorize.

simply means absolutely

The five day discussions about a simple question that could be answered in a few minutes are usually the best discussions on here.

Just sometimes :slight_smile:

simply just simple

Actually, as soon as I saw this was AJ’s lesson, I just assumed it was deliberate. Listened to it and still think this way.

Paule89 --You might like this:

Forsook, the past tense of forsake

Etymology of forsake-
Old English forsacan “object to, oppose, refuse, deny; give up, renounce” (past tense forsoc, past participle forsacen), from for- “completely” + sacan “to struggle, dispute, wrangle; accuse, blame” (see sake). Related: Forsaking. Similar formation in Old Saxon farsakan, Dutch verzaken, Old High German farsahhan “deny, repudiate,” Danish forsage “give up, refuse.”

Forsake is chiefly applied to leaving that by which natural affection or a sense of duty should or might have led us to remain: as, to forsake one’s home, friends, country, or cause; a bird forsakes its nest. In the passive it often means left desolate, forlorn. [Century Dictionary]

Just “sake” leads to this:
before 900; Middle English; Old English sacu lawsuit, cause; cognate with German Sache thing, Old Norse sǫk lawsuit;

In my opinion, it could be read a couple ways. But it’s definitely used here for emphasis. I guess punctuation could alter the overall meaning slightly.

“English Grammar is, simply, too complex to memorize” as in, “to put it simply, it is too complex”

Ah, they are very interesting for English speakers who love language, but how does a beginning English speaker cope with them? I think to myself that if, as a beginner, I asked the meaning of a Czech word and a flood of answers like this came back in Czech, I would be overwhelmed.

Not often have I been forsaken, but forsook a great many! (Not true, the last bit)

1b is relevant.