English and German

Thanks SanneT!

@Yutaka

‘To possess another language is to possess another soul’. I always loved this from a speech by the English author John Le Carre (he was quoting, I think, Charles the Great).

This is another speech by Le Carre (in German) about his love of the German language. I wish my own German was good enough to understand it properly but even just hearing the sound of his German: the man is inspiring!

I suspect when we all look back on our lives we will cherish the memories of happy times and our loved ones, and most else will fall away. If German is giving you pleasure now, its daily journey, then why not go for it! My first attempt at learning German was half-hearted and it felt like a chore. I’m still a beginner but I can’t believe how different it feels this time around. I love it!

Besides, research shows that learning new languages delays Alzheimer’s disease by around 5 years :wink:

Tsugio Sekiguchi wrote as follows in Japanese:
“Difficulties in the German language could be overcome mainly by logics, although those in the English language could be overcome only by experiences and customs.”

This is simply a test to see whether this particular thread will reappear in the Recently Active Threads column. (Vera had alerted us to the fact that it had disappeared from view, despite being a relatively current thread.)

Here it goes.

P.S. It worked!

P.P.S. @Yutaka Tsugio Sekiguchi certainly has a point!

I think it is never too late to start learning again, you should start learning German again with the aim to succeed this time. Make a record of learning new languages :slight_smile:

’Bilingualism delays age at onset of dementia, independent of education and immigration status’