Efficiently studying large content items

This is just a question to those with relatively advanced abilities in a language: how do you personally study content items which are at least 10 minutes, but which you already understand reasonably well and can follow along? Is there a particular strategy you have for weeding out those phrases and words you don’t know, without having to read the entire transcript to find them?

10 minutes is not long if you are fairly advanced in the language. I regularly do interviews from Echo Moskvi that are 30 and 40 minutes long. I use QuickLingQ to save the words I need. Then I either read the text on the screen saving phrases that I want, or to help me notice some aspects of grammar, or I just read and listen on my iPad using iLingQ.

The purpose in saving phrases is not necessarily to nail down phrases that I don’t understand but to help me to be able to use these phrases. I can usually type in the correct meaning, if the google translate meaning is not adequate. Then I will often reverse the Flash Cards so that I have to say the phrase in target language based on my English.

This is a lot easier to do now that I can select my Vocabulary lists for “phrases only”.

QuickLingQ view? Whoops! I posted at the same time as Steve.

Steve, thanks for the reply. You’re right, 10 minutes isn’t very long, but reading a 10 minute+ transcript seems superfluous if I can already understand 90%+ of what I am hearing. Do you really read the entire transcript for those Echo Moskvi interviews? I’ll try doing what you do, and use QuickLingQ to save those words I’m unfamiliar with. Perhaps even reading along as well would be a good thing; it certainly won’t do any harm!

I’m currently reading Russian kids’ books, aimed probably at 8 year old natives. They are a bit under 30 000 words long (60 A4 pages) and about 12 - 18 chapters. This divides up into 3 LingQ lessons, of nearly 10 000 words and 4 - 6 chapters each.

The audio is read at about 150 wpm and so is about 200 minutes long. It takes me a few days to listen to this, and during those few days I open up the LIngq lessons, skim read them, move a few yellow words up a level, lingQ a few blue words. It depends how involved I am in the story how carefully I read the lesson :wink:

I think I do most of the learning from the listening part, the LingQing and learning is just reinforcement and keeping score.

I read and listen to chapters of books ranging from 20 to 55 minutes. It’s like I get into a rhythm. Never used the QuickLingQ thing because I’m always looking for phrases.

Chris, reading that much and understanding even at 100% is beneficial for your language learning. It’s all reinforcement. If it’s something you enjoy - it doesn’t matter how much you understand. For example, I was reading some Dutch detective novels a while back of which I understood 99%. I could have chosen more challenging material but I was too engrossed in them to stop reading out of the idea that I should be doing something more ‘worthy’ with me time.

I have an iphone and an ipad which I carry with me, so I usually use those to study LingQ. I look at the transcript using the Safari browser on the ipad and I listen to the audio using iLingQ on my iphone. I use the touchscreen on the ipad to turn blue words yellow. The major downside of this is that I can’t highlight phrases and I can’t select non-blue words.

Even when I use LingQ on my computer, I generally do the same thing - listen, read, and LingQ all in one go. I have some podcasts that I listen to while commuting and whatnot, but I generally don’t deliberately study the transcripts for those. I listen to podcasts that I mostly understand, so I don’t think I’d want to then subsequently read through the transcript for the whole thing.

When I do a LingQ lesson, I do the whole lesson in one go. LingQ isn’t the only studying tool I use, so perhaps that’s why I do it like this. Sometimes I don’t use LingQ at all for a week or two.

Steve’s way is probably the best, but I find that I don’t really like Quick LingQ. I’ve tried it but I’m sometimes not sure which meaning is correct out of context. I also suspect that if I divide up my study into reading, LingQing, and listening, and do each of the 3 at a different time, I probably won’t end up doing all 3 for a lesson. I find it works best for me to do all 3 at the same time.

Yeah, we all have a different way of approaching a lesson. I believe that there’s no single objective ‘best’ way of doing it. What matters is that we are getting the input and enjoying the process.

My way is to first lingq and add known words while listening to the lesson, then I read and listen and move words up status levels as I go. This is working particularly well for me. Others couldn’t do it just like I couldn’t do it Bortrun or Steve’s way.

How do you lingq and add known words while listening without also reading? It sounds like you do more or less the same thing I do, although I don’t go back for a second pass. I will review the vocab for a lesson (and adjust word statuses) either just before or just after I do it. I generally don’t adjust word statuses while going through the lesson.

The first run, I’m just listening but not reading in that I don’t attempt to keep up with it at all. It’s just about getting the new words down to the lowest number possible while getting some audio-only input. The second run, I’m not adding new lingq or knowns because I’ve already done it all in the first. At that point it’s all about moving statuses.

Also, I don’t do any vocabulary review. Everything is learned in the texts.