Easy content in French

Hi,
I started to learn French regularly at LingQ about 3 weeks ago. I would like to know if anyone would suggest other sources of beginner content. I’ve already studied the “Ravie…” series and started the “Qui est elle?” (the old “pouvoir”) but I think the “Qui est elle?” goes too fast for a complete beginner like me. I would like to have more of those easy dialogs from other sources.
Thanks in advance.

The collection ‘qui est elle’ has been redone. The items #1-2-3 belong to the new recording, are they still too fast?
The following files will be in the store soon to replace the prior recordings, which are fast.

Hi, Marianne.
I suppose I haven’t expressed myself very well. I was not talking about the velocity of speach. But I think they get more and more difficult too fast. I’m in the 6th part, and even having the enourmous advantage of being a Portuguese native speaker, I’m having a lot of difficulties to proceed. Well, I should recognize I can’t stand listening to the same content 30-40 times as Steve suggest. 15-20 is my limit…

By the way, I’ve found these two sites today, which I intend to explore more:
http://www.learnfrenchinboston.com/freeLessons/convbegIndex.cfm

Ana,

There is quite a bit of beginner content in the LingQ Library, both in Beginner I and Beginner II. I find it useful to mix things up. Have you listened to them all? Did you not like them?

As for Qui est-elle, the old Power of the Linguist, I suggest you listen in French and read in Portuguese a few times to let French enter your mind while you read in your own language. You will find that it is easy to do. Manger a l’Exterieur exists in English and French, although not in Portuguese (yet). You can also do that item.

If you find good sites let us know about them, as that will help others. People can go there, or import into LingQ or maybe share if that is allowed.

Your brain has to get used to French. I am comfortable listening over and over to content with a relatively high percent of unknown words, but I know that not everyone is. It may be that we need to increase our Beginner content. Perhaps you can let us know the kind of content that you like.

I believe that the range of content we have in Beginner I and II is quite a lot. I am normally in a hurry to get into authentic content. But maybe that is me. I am no longer a beginning French learner. I would be interested in more feedback from you and other learners about how difficult it is to start a language from scratch at LingQ and what we need to do to make it better.

Hi Steve,
I’ll try this thing of listening in French and reading in Portuguese. Thanks for the tip. For this beginning stage, I’m enjoying more the dialogues and small stories. I don’t like those items with “listen and repeat” activities, so I erased a lot of them from my workdesk. Some of them, like the ones on numbers, I still use, but skipping that boring “listen and repeat” part.
I’m eager to be able to cope with authentic content too, but I’ve been in this thing for less then one month yet! Even the “Beginner II” items are difficult for me right now…
About the whole experience of using LingQ from scratch, I should say that it is not an easy endeavour, even for someone passionate about LingQ like me… In two or three occasions I felt strongly tempted to try a more traditional method, “at least the first book”. There are a lot of words for which the dictionary doesn’t help. In French there are all those contractions that I can’t find in the dictionary, not to mention the verb tenses. The picture is complete if one remember that I don’t know enough French to make questions anywhere…
But I’m resolved to stick on it for at least 6 months so I can say I have given LingQ method a fair try. I’m also taking some small notes on the process at a weekly basis, more or less. Maybe we could discuss them some day after my “experience” period… :wink:
Anyway, despite of the difficulties, I really believe it will work, and quite faster than any 6-years classroom course. My previous experience with English tells me that…

Ana,

I agree with you on listen and repeat exercizes. I do not do them. If your dictionary is not giving you meaning you might try a French English dictionary. The contractions should show up in the dictionary. Is it in fact a French Portuguese dictionary that you are using?

I am a fanatical about no grammar. If you can find a short concise Portuguese language grammar book on French yo might want to read to get an overview of what to expect, and to refer to occasionally. Even there, though, I would recommend doing a lot of listening and reading and letting the questions accumulate in your mind and then referring to the dictionary.

Also do not hesitate to ask questions about French in English. I am sure Marianne will be only to happy to reply in English until you are ready to communicate in French. Good luck.

I meant to say that I am NOT fanatical about no grammar. I just think it should not become the focal point of learning.

I should add that I consider the first 2-3 months of learning a language are just a period of connecting with the language, getting to like it and overcoming the resistance to its strangeness. This period may be shorter for a Portuguese speaker like you learning French. Once this “emotional” layer is laid down, the real connecting to meaning starts to happen. So be patient.

ahahah.
Very funny, this missing “NOT”. Freud had a name for this, in Portuguese it is called “ato falho” (I don’t know how it is said in English). The meaning is that your unconscious mind made you say what you “really” was thinking…
Just kidding, ok?
I’m using basically free online dics. There is a French-Portuguese one among them, but it is very simple. I’m using the wordreference too, but it seems that when one looks for very simple words, it returns a huge amount of different meanings and explanations that really discourage me…
I’ll try to find some Portuguese explanations. Thanks for clarifying this point about the LIngQ method for me (despite the “ato falho” ahahaha)
Finally, I’m sure Marianne would be happy to help me in English, but I don’t want to foster such a bad habit…