Dutch has reached the limits for a supported language

@vera

If Vera is saying that from experience, then the lingq people need to step-up their work a little more.

@all - Adding new languages is not currently a priority for us. I do recognize that a lot of you are passionate about new languages being added, but so far we have seen very little gain from the 10 beta languages that we’ve added and have made the decision to devote our focus to other aspects of the site. Our current focus is on improving the experience for new LingQ members, along with further enhancing the functionality for existing learner. We feel this will provide the most benefit for the most people.

I know that not everyone will agree with this decision, but I hope that you will all continue to support us as we work hard at making LingQ even better. We aren’t looking to ban future languages forever, but after looking at the numbers it just doesn’t make sense at this point to spend more time on new languages. That won’t always be the case, though.

@Alex

Ya, I guess you are right about that. The lingq site has many problems to fix, But I hope sometime this year new languages might be added.

@Alex - I understand Alex that you have only limited time and resources and I completely respect that. You are obviously putting in a huge amount of work with the site. My interest in new languages being added to the site stems from the fact that Lingq is proving so effective for me with Mandarin that I would want to use it for any new language I choose to study, and next on my list is Cantonese, a non-Lingq language.

Wish i saw this thread earlier. I’ve got 2 comments.

1. Dutch still isn’t a fully supported language, as far as I can tell.
  2. There is no place to put Thai material, or material from any language other than supported/beta languages. This has been brought up before.

We are working on getting Dutch ready. Hopefully, it won’t be too much longer. Regarding new beta languages, unfortunately, we will not be adding them. If you want Thai added, the requirements for supported languages will have to be met and it will then be added. You can find more details here - New Languages on LingQ.

Oh, ok. Then all I have to do is mail you the material, and provided it passes your quality inspection, Thai will be added?

@Wulfgar - That is correct provided we don’t encounter major technical issues related to implementing Thai.

And there’s the rub.

Yes. And in fact Mark has informed me that Thai is too difficult to implement.

What’s the advantage gained in promoting a language to official status? I’ve enjoyed learning some Dutch as part of the beta languages, and it didn’t feel different to the official languages to me. Is the difference just that beta languages might not have sufficient content yet & haven’t been checked for quality control?

Also, I guess official languages have to be tested in the mobile apps & against the LingQ API? In that case I can see why Thai might be difficult to implement.

According to Steve Kaufmann, any issues related to official languages will be resolved whereas that is not the case for beta. Moreover, Lingq usually provides content for official languages so the lesson series “Who is she?”, which is available in all the official languages, will presumably also be available in Dutch.