Doing a 90 day challenge in Russian!

I’m sure it’ll work out fine, so long as there’s a real will, no doubt! =))) No, no, it’s actually an incomplete form of (I wish you) safe journeys… And if the verb ‘to wish’ is implied in Russian, Genetive is used for an object, in this case it’s Genetive Plural, i.e. БезопаснЫХ and, consequently, as there is a coordination between an adjective and a noun, the latter also has to be in Genetive Plural, i.e. путешествИЙ, as for the second one, you’re absolutely right, it’s in Genetive but Singular, as ‘success’ is an unocountable noun, just as in English, hence, only Singular form is possible! :wink:

Thank you very much, it was a very enjoyable experience, I want my Russian to be a lot better if I go again though, was a struggle this time round!

I don’t want to discourage you, but it’s important to set realistic goals so that you don’t get frustrated later. Part of that is being specific about what you mean by “proficient” or “fluent”. Fluency is a fluid concept - forgive my concept alliteration here - but proficiency is clearly defined by a number of language certification organizations, and happens long after fluency is achieved. Basically, it means you could easily be mistaken for native speaker. No one does this in three months, or even a year. No one. Fluency, however, is a stratified concept, and you can easily reach the point of limited conversation on interesting subjects in the course of a year. It would help to live in Russia, of course.

Instead of saying you want to be “fluent”, say that you want to learn X number by X date, and then divide by the days you have to find out how many words you have to memorize to get there. Download Anki to make sure those words actually stick (LingQ is a fantastic program, but the flashcards algorithm is simply awful; words repeat only for the first week or so, but they should repeat regularly for at least a couple of months, especially as the lists add up), and keep in mind that if you learn 21 (in 3 sets of 7, the limit for a single memory set) words a day, after a week your flashcards are going to be taking you an hour a day or more.

Evgeny, I disagree that it’s nonsense to memorize every new word. People have been telling me that for two years now - “зачем тебе такие слова, так не говорят”, but what’s actually happened is that after 37 months of independent study, I’ve nearly reached proficiency in Russian, and I think this is because I consider any word that I use in English necessary to know. My goal is to speak Russian the way I speak English, and really, I think that’s what most people want. Considering the amount of time you have to study, of course, has to influence your choices about the expediency of memorizing new words, but if you’re studying with lingq, any word or phrase that you want to know should be included in your list.

Yes, I can confirm that ‘proficiency’ is estimated higher in a language school. It’s like C2 level, and not all native speakers acquire such a level.
But ‘fluency’ you can reach after having a vocabulary B2 or even B1 with some practice of conversations and a good ‘braveness’ by speaking…

Emory, I like your determination to know every Russian word. But how I can see in your starting page - you’re a teacher, it explains a lot.
However, I don’t think it’s so necessary to kniow every word for a common language lover who would like first of all to be able to speak about the main topics, to watch TV and films and that’s all - mostly of them don’t want to read books, especially thick books like novels by L. Tolstoy or F. Dostoyevsky; though I believe that it can be very interesting and useful for the language skills.
In any case, when I told my German friend that I had read J.W. Goethe, Th. Fontane and Th. Mann in German, they asked me: ‘Why?.. We speak now differently’. But I believe that this reading gave me a lot for my German, like reading of the stories in English by Ch. Dickens, O. Whilde, E. Hemingway, O’Henry gave me a lot for my English.