Does Trump really want to build the border wall?

Trump’s Border Wall a Waste of Time and Money, Retiring Border Chief Says - ABC News (via @ABC)

Building a huge border wall between the US and Mexico has been the most important slogan of Trump’s campaign. How can it be accomplished? Does he really want to do so?

“I will build a great wall — and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me — and I’ll build them very inexpensively.”

“I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

1 Like

Another hour, another nonsense liberal thread from Yutaka-san.

Seriously, the recently active threads is the main window for users to get access to the forums.

Not for you to spam your nonsense, continually.

You hate Trump? You dislike democratic outcomes? We get it already. Take it elsewhere.

7 Likes

nobody knows what trump wants even him he pandered and promised everything to get into office .

No, no, he has freedom of speech and freedom of opinion.

(It might be better if it were concentrated in one single anti-Trump thread?)

@Prinz of Something

The most famous slogan in his campaign should be separated from other things, shouldn’t it? Will he really carry out this promise he made during the campaign?

You can talk about it from the position of Trump supporters who are fascinated by the idea of the great border wall, so this thread cannot be considered an “anti-Trump” thread. Am I wrong?

Come on guys, we should all be astonished that ABC News found someone who dislikes Trump’s idea. What a turn of events!

1 Like

@Prinz of Something” lmao!

1 Like

I think this is a interesting forum, plus, he has freedom of speech.

1 Like

Yes, I think he will build a border wall

Don’t worry - I’m not going to change it again any time soon :slight_smile:

Ok cool.

Or at least he will try

@iaing, don’t be rude! Don’t be rude! @Yutaka, go on!

I’m ready for the Mexican economy of ladder production to boom.

1 Like

On the Penn and Teller show they built an exact replica of the proposed border wall and paid mexicans to try to get through it via digging, tunning, or breaking through it.

All of them were able to get through the wall in about 30 seconds.

Does he really think a literal wall will stop illegal immigration? Has he not heard of El Chapo? Does he not realise immigrants get through via the border and the illegal ones are here because they extend their stay, not because of a lack of a wall?

(If planes are a problem, maybe Trump will invest in some more Surface to Air Missile launchers?)

On a joking note, has he not seen the movie Fast and Furious?

1 Like

This is a good video! Thank you, Dimethylamine. I wonder why many of the American people were fascinated by this unfeasible construction project.

1 Like

Strawman here, issues like illegal immigration highlight the lack of long term memory in the U.S. because we never review policies that effect and contribute to these issues. People should look at NAFTA and the war on drugs for starters.

1 Like

“Myth 7: NAFTA negatively impacts the North American manufacturing base.
Reality: Since NAFTA came into effect, North American manufacturers have enjoyed better access to materials, technologies, capital, and talent available across the continent. Thousands of manufacturers have capitalized on this to improve efficiency and better refine technology, making them more competitive at home and around the world.
U.S. manufacturing output rose by 62% between 1993 and 2008, compared with 42% between 1980 and 1993. In 2008,U.S. manufacturing exports reached an all-time high of US$1.0 trillion…”
“Market Access for Goods
The elimination of duties on thousands of goods crossing borders within North America.
Phased-in tariff reductions – now complete – and special rules for agricultural, automotive, and textile and apparel products…”
http://www.naftanow.org/myths/default_en.asp

I wonder what Trump’s protectionism is focusing on. “America First” is a very vague goal. Many scholars think that every “deal” in Trump’s world is viewed in the framework of “zero-sum” games. Only winners and losers in his world. Or, is he just pretending that he is a successful, “tough-looking” businessman?

By the way, are there any conflicts between the US and Canada in this field?