Does it hurt?

My favourite Beginner’s Russian Reader by Lila Pargment has quite a few little jokes in it. One of them talks about a blind beggar who taught himself to say thank you in 4 languages. To atttract more attention, the sign around his neck said: “Этот слепной — полиглот”.
Then two ladies came along and one of them said: “Oh, no, look at that poor person: not only is he blind, but he’s also [got] polyglot!”

Edit:
“Этот слепной — полиглот” = blind [and] polyglot (a rough translation, but jokes don’t translate easily)

2 Likes

I don’t understand any Russian. Is this joke related to a sort of fles?
Does being polyglot mean speaking several languages at the same time?

I have edited the original post. Hope it now makes more sense :slight_smile:

“Does being polyglot mean speaking several languages at the same time?” Yes, indeed.

I don’t really understand, regardless - a rose for the joke.

The punch line in Russian is easy to understand, the English version still needs some work :slight_smile: It is meant to imply that the women think “to be polyglot” is an illness. (Thank you for the rose.)

P.S.
Here’s another joke, given to me by a friend. It’s a typical mother-in-law joke (apparently in Russian they only ever make jokes about the woman’s mother, never about the man’s mother. She appears sacrosanct, which appears fairly unfair to me!

Ко мне тёща после свадьбы только раз приехала
Да ты просто счастливчик!
Да… И уже больше не уезжала…

My mother-in-law has only ever come to us once (visited us once) since the wedding.
You are a lucky guy!
Yes, … and she still hasn’t left…

1 Like

The joke might work in English too.

You know if you spend so much of your time learning languages instead of making money, you would end up a beggar like him. So it makes sense.

Oh, but then that might be too logical to be a joke - I take that back :slight_smile: