Do you Use Coins as Valuable Metric of your Progress?

As I have a bit more energy in this period and I hope to be able to keep it, I would like to approach a better way to measure my daily commitment on every language compared to what I did in the past. I’m not very good at doing this, I admit.

I usually focus on known words, I know others focus on words read, and a few on listening time. But I was wondering, is any one of you using coins as a valuable metric?

I know LingQ has different parameters for coins depending on reading, listening, and so on. Are those balanced?

Do you think this metric has any real value? If yes, I would you daily/weekly/monthly use it?

Thanks.

1 Like

It highly prioritizes known words. An hour of listening is not even 10 minutes reading usually. I do wish it were more balanced, and that there were higher levels of streak maintenance since the ‘insane’ setting is anything but

I think time is a better metric better than known words (words read/minutes listened), as long as you know you are focused while studying

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about coins. I only worry about them in so much as to keep my streak, which I sometimes lose anyways due to being offline the entire day, as offline LingQ activity is only added upon reconnecting to the Internet, hence you lose your streak. Apart from that, I don’t worry too much. But to get 1,000 or 2,000 coins in a day takes me a well while. So if I really had a big goal, I’d pick something like that. But really I do other activity outside of LingQ (movies, TV series, speaking, and sometimes my grammar book), which when you manually add them, you don’t usually get coins. For this reason I don’t really care too much about it. I would go for a specific time spent with the language on whatever platform.

2 Likes

It’s true that manually adding activities don’t add coins (I forgot about that). So it’s only a metric that gives a data on LingQ’s usage and learning distribution inside the platform itself. Hmmm!

1 Like

I use it as the metric for days when I don’t have much time or motivation. I consider the 50 coins to keep my casual streak the bare minimum for a day. It’s gotten me to a 321 day streak so far which is far longer than I’ve ever maintained a streak of doing anything without missing a single day. So, now, on days where I don’t have motivation my fear of losing my streak takes over. I realize I could use coins to save the streak, but I wouldn’t which makes the fear very real.

3 Likes

I agree, that’s a good way to keep your streak going, which is very important to develop a good habit and keep ourselves hooked to the language when we have tons of other things to deal with.

The coins awarded for listening feels tuned for listening where you aren’t super engaged with the listening. For that, i am fine.

However, if you open a lesson and have 1X read and 1X listened, I think the listening should count for more than it does. In this case there is some indication of actively reading and following along to the content while listening. Thus high engagement with the content.

Measuring time listened when you are truly striving to catch every word but not reading it would be a bit harder to identify without LingQ explicitly asking us each session.

1 Like

I agree that there is a difference but that would be hard to manage. Even when you are using the playlists you could passive listening or reading the karaoke along the listening. It would be difficult to split passive listening and active listening or other similar forms of engagement, but I agree that it’s not the same.

1 Like