Do you think you can learn English JUST using songs?

I mean not just LISTENING to music for having fun, but working hard using all the possibilities that a song can offer. Do you know somebody who use it as a method? Does that work? Don´t you have a feeling that you are wasting your time?

I use this method at my Swedish studies. I have no knowledge of this language, so I can listen the beginner content only, but it is boring - listen the same content for many times in a row… I can listen it one or two times and then I lack concentration. So I mix the beginner content from LingQ with swedish songs. I found lyrics and imported it to LingQ. I don’t mind if songs help me with my studies or not, I just enjoy :slight_smile: But I think it helps me - at least it helps me not to give up Swedish :slight_smile:
I don’t use this method at my English studies, as my listening skills are rather good, and I can listen interesting content.

Cristina,
The friend of main who teaches English told me that English songs were the trigger on her engagement in language learning and profession choosing. So they might be a good motivational stimulus in language studying.
I try to use this method to improve my English before I discovered the LingQ website. As Cakupa said, it’s very pleasant, but as a language learning method it was a completely waste of time, at least for me. Similarly, I remember that as a child I was listening a lot to Italian songs that were very popular on that time. I learn easily by hearing and memorized them very quickly, but I couldn’t understand what the songs are about. Only when I studied Italian as an adult, I could mentally rehearing some of those songs and understand the general meaning.
Ina

In spite of bad grammar in modern lyrics, this kind of learning is useful. On your native language you know many song- lyrics without learning this deliberately. This fact is a basis for the special method which recommends the listening to the phrases with cool music on the background. I have used this method a bit and have catch a lot without big effort. You learn not much vocabulary on that way, but you learn it deeply, and that is important for speaking.

There are many things involved in language learning. Emotions, and motivation and a sense of the rhythm of the language are all important and can be favourably influenced by listening to songs. However, the big job is to acquire lots of words and phrases, and a sense of how the language is used in many different situations. There is no substitute for a lot of input of all kinds, including of course, some songs.

I think you can use songs to learn more but it’s pretty hard to learn English from songs because words that are sung sometimes sounds way different from the way it’s said. Sometimes words are stretched out or sung really fast which makes it hard to hear. I can hear and understand more when I listen to dialogue.

Yes, san2286, I think the same in relation to that difficulty. Understanding songs is my biggest challenge. Maybe the last frontier. Haha!

But when we refer to learn English, we are not just talking about LISTENING, hu? We can compare the informal way of speaking with the formal one, for example. And people can get more conscious about how the language works on the streets. I am saying that because, sometimes, we can´t understand a native speaker because we are waiting for the “right grammar” and that person use other variation of it. So, we get confused and blame ourselves, but it wasn´t our fault. Haha!

Of course, this variation is not considered for getting a good job and it’s not ok to emphasize it. But I think we should know about its existence, because we can find native speakers who use it. Do you remember that song "California Dreamin’ " when the singers said “I’d be safe and warm if I WAS in L.A”? Songs are closer to the informal speaking. That’s why we can´t use only songs for university entrance test preparation, but it’s still useful for getting that consciousness.

I don’t “avoid” learning languages from songs because of occasional examples of informal speech (such as “if I was”), but rather because they’re sung (and not spoken).

Another thing, I’d never say that songs are particularly close to informal speaking. Having listened to tons of podcasts in German, watched milions of anglophone movies and so forth, I’d say that no kind media lacks that - and by the way, I think it SHOULD contain informal language.

Jeff, I am not saying songs shouldn´t contain informal language. I only pointed out the fact. And when I said songs are closer to informal language, I meant that song writers feel freer to express their thought throught those ones. Normally, some of them don´t care much about grammar and they still write their lyrics using the language of the streets. So, we should take the opportunity to learn more about that language variety.

yes ,i think it is a good method to learn more about the spoken language , finally all of us we need the language that we can communicate with, and the language that get job with , i bieleve in this statement which says “language is primery spoken”

As for me the most useful way of using songs was listening without reading lirics. When I tried to recognize the word, to discover what they are singing about, to match the right word… You must listen a song many times to make out every word. But that way makes you to remember all words!

There is a lyrics viewer:

http://www.crintsoft.com/

Very useful tool