Do you put places and names like unknown words?

i dont know i only put words and sometimes places that the sound is diffirent and other question for example the word dog i have this word in knowns words and if i encounter with the word dogs would you put the plural like unknown or no or only the word

1 Like

Your post subject and the message seem to have two different questions.

Proper names (people’s names, city names, country names, etc) - I set these to ignore.

Names of a park or some landmark, sometimes I’ll put as yellow if I’m not familiar with it, and maybe give a little detail about where it is. I won’t mark these as “known” though.

Variations of words, plurals, different verb conjugations, etc…I count all of these as different words just as LingQ intends. So I create LingQ’s for them all. It’s really much simpler this way.

1 Like

In Modern Greek: Yes, because of the Greek alphabet. (many variations how [ i ] can be written, translations and transcriptions of foreign place names etc). In order not to inflate my lingQ list, most of the time I only add first names of persons, not family names.
In languages that use the latin alphabet: Only if the language uses its own form of a proper name like ENG/D Munich/München.

ok but plural you marks like known ?

if I know the singular of the word, and I now read the plural, I will mark it as known as well. I will mark any form of the word known, if I know what it is in the context of the sentence (without hesitation).

In order not to inflate my lingQ list, most of the time I only add first names of persons, not family names. Look facebook video download on YouTube Downloader - Download Youtube videos for free!

You should probably mark different grammatical forms so that you have the definition you want for subsequent encounters with the word form. I often add the same basic definition for each word form, but the benefit of the LingQ system is to make fewer trips to phrase books and dictionaries and maximize your time spent with text. With proper names of things and places, it completely depends on whether I think the name or place is important. For example, I mark the forms of King Sejong because he’s an important historical figure and I want to read more information about him or atleast have it available. I don’t mark names of things that aren’t important to me and use the ignore button on them. The stats are great for measuring progress and giving yourself a sense of achievement, but don’t make them the focus of your LingQ usage unless you intend to use it as only a game.

Hi did you cite me by accident? Your statement makes no sense :wink: