Do Anki flash cards work?

Interesting. How many words does your wall contain before it is replaced by a new set?

Maybe. I was speaking purely from the experience of someone whose first language is English. In my own experience (English as a first language), French, Spanish (and my guess German, Dutch, Scandinavian languages as well as Italian and Portuguese), these would likely be easier to pick up in anki from scratch just from text because of similiarity to English.
If your first language is not English or one of those languages I’ve listed my best guess is western european languages would be gibberish to you and you would have to use tricks with anki decks (like mp3s instead of just written, plus pictures and other tricks).

Likewise for me it appears I can race through languages similar to English in anki from scratch (based on French and Spanish - I’m guessing with German and the rest).

But if it is distant enough from those other languages, then for me (and I’m guessing other English first language speakers), there is no additional “lift” from similarity because every word is a hard word to learn.

Edit: that said, I can’t prove what I’m saying would be true for me with German because I haven’t done it (yet) and I also have the added advantage of already having done two so maybe it would be easier for me, I dunno.

Anyhow, definitely an interesting topic.

One more observation - it has sharpened my ability to notice those words in movies and television shows which I have been reviewing daily in Anki.