Dictionary Reta Vortaro is not working

Hi! The Esperanto dictionary Reta Vortaro is not working. If you search for a word that is not in the dictionary, the following error is shown on a page at odiernod.com:

“Length cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: length”

Because only base words are listed, this occurs often. It doesn’t prevent study though.

It appears this is just the way this dictionary handles requests for entries that don’t exist.

Every dictionary is a bit different, since they are all created by different people: some give errors, some display nothing and some can guess the word you’re looking for.

OK, I might ask odiernod, the error comes from his page, not the dictionary. I’m not sure what his page does in between.

Sure, give that a try. His site is a necessary middleman in the process. This dictionary doesn’t display the search term in the URL, so it isn’t compatible with LingQ. Odiernod set it up to pass through his own site in order for it to be compatible.

I’ll have to take a look at this one a bit latert, it took me a few tries to get it to show me the error, but I got one reproducible. Please be patient, it may take me a few days before I can look at it, as I have had a cold lately and have not had much time at the computer.

Thank you! This is not urgent and any help at any time is appreciated.

Ok, duct tape fixed it. If it gets an error it turns around and attempts the search a second time in a slightly different manner, which seems to cover many of the cases. When this second call is required it may cause a second or two delay in the results to show up. At least this second time if it doesn’t work you will be given the reta vortaro dictionary search box rather than an ugly error message. Hope this is satisfactory!

Thanks, now it’s working much better! This will save me a lot of extra clicks.