Criteria for Changing Unknown to Know Word in LingQ

Often when I am reading a lesson in LingQ I come upon a word that I understand perfectly well.

At that point one part of my brain says “You understand the word so change it from yellow to clear” (known word).

Then another part of my brain says "But wait, would you remember this word if you were writing an essay and had to actively use it instead of just passively reading it? Would you remember how to spell it and where the accent marks go? Could you use it in a conversation?

In this situation I sometimes leave the word yellow and other times I mark it as known. I’m wondering how other LingQ users handle this situation?

Correction: The title should be Criteria for Changing Unknown to Known Word in LingQ.

In my view you can’t really check whether you can actively use a word while you’re reading. I also don’t feel like reading will necessarily build that skill. So, I call a word “known” when I think I would understand it in context and (depending on the language) if I’m pronouncing it correctly when I see it.

Words/phrases I care about being able to say/write (or want to research later, etc.) get special tags, so that I don’t “lose” them by marking them known.

1 Like

It depends on the word. Sometimes I know the word from others places and have used it, so I make it known. Sometimes I think I know the word, but I miss the meaning up a bit and decide to leave it. Sometimes I know a word, but do not feel too comfortable with making it known. Depends on the word.

At first, I was doing the same, thinking - oh, I need to perfectly remember and be able to recall the word on my own before changing to known. But 'understanding in context ’ is a better criterion in my experience. It leaves more brain capacity to concentrate on new words, so instead of having many yellow words on a page, you use the limited brainpower on those that really need attention. Activation comes with a lot of reading, listening and speaking anyway.

1 Like

If i understand it - even if i don’t know the English translation properly - it goes in known.