Creative Commons License on The Linguist

Accidentally I figured out that there is some of my content shown in Google and accessible by the Link on Google where I’ve ticked the “Don’t show this lesson on thelinguist.com website”.
Example: http://www.thelinguist.com/de/de/library/item/36808/

Another problem is that you write under the lesson on thelinguist.com: “All content on The Linguist is licensed under a Creative Commons License.” You have not the permission to do this! You have to respect the Licence of the original content provider. The licences can be quite different. You should write "All content on TheLinguist is licensed under a Creative Commons License if no Copyright or other License is mentioned. Bye the way, in Europe content is protected as long as there is not especially mentioned a license.

See Terms of Service for LingQ

ALL content on LingQ.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.

As a member, you have agreed to these terms when signing up.

Wow, then we could not use Wikipedia articles!

Wikipedia is under a “Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License”

and not a “Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.” like LingQ.

I guess we’ve to unshare lots of lessons because they under a different CC license.

Or the terms and conditions have to be changed!

All the librivox lessons have to be unshared. They are public domain. What a pitty. Creative Commons — Copyright-Only Dedication (based on United States law) or Public Domain Certification

*** Wer Ironie findet, darf sie behalten ***

Hi Vera,

We’ll amend the Terms to include your suggested wording. We will also make this change on TheLinguist.

Vera,
Alex just wrote me that all the content from Wikipedia and Librivox can remain in the Library.

Hi Alex, I had to look up “amend” :wink:
Thank you that you’ll follow my suggestion.

Hehe, the word is commonly found in regard to contracts and other formal documents (such as “amendments” in the US Constitution).

It doesn’t bother me. It is great that I can pick up new words even on the forum!

@Michele: Did you got the meaning of “Wer Ironie findet, darf sie behalten”?

Yes, I got the meaning of that sentence, but I couldn’t see any irony in your posts. Maybe I’m still not familiar with German irony…

I didn’t understand that.
Librivox stuff is in the “Public Domain”, so LingQ’s terms are irrelevant in this case.

@Michele: I wanted to show the consequences of the existing terms and conditions in a drastic way. That was ironical because I’ve known that LingQ will change them after my complaint. I think it wasn’t done in purpose.

@Hape: Das Problem war, dass die Bedingungen von LingQ nicht darauf hinwiesen sondern ALLE Inhalte ohne Ausnahme unter diese Lizenz stellen wollten. Es muss klar gemacht werden, dass dies nur für Inhalte gilt, die nicht auf eine spezielle Lizenz oder ein Copyright verweisen oder die nicht “Public Domain” sind.

@Vera - Lessons like the one you mention can be found on TheLinguist if you know the exact url and type it in. They can not be found otherwise by navigating the site or by search engines. Therefore, nobody is ever likely to see them there. However, we will now make it so that if someone does enter the url exactly, they will get an error.

Thank you very much, Mark. I was especially surprised because I found it on Google.

If you found it on Google, there is a problem. They should not appear there. At any rate, we are going to make it so those pages won’t work at all now.

@VeraI - That issue with lessons appearing on thelinguist.com is now fixed. Hidden lessons are now inaccessible as well. Thanks for letting us know about this.

@Mark: I’m really excited how fast problems are resolved on LingQ now. Good work!