Counters - Numbers

EDIT:

Since apparently I have not expressed myself in an understandable fashion I want to reword the introduction to my post:

My propose is that one is able to lingq numbers and number/counter combinations.

For example, if you are learning German and 3 comes up you might lingq it as “drei” and use this to later check your knowledge.
If you are learning Japanese and 7時 comes up you might lingq it as “しちじ” to later better remember this exception.

------------- ORIGINAL POST:

Dear all!

As anyone who is learning Japanese knows, Japanese numbers are a pain to learn.
9 kyuu
㋈ ku-gatsu
9日 kokono-ka
The many different number + counter combinations have to be learned to master the language.

Also, other languages have weird things with numbers: 93 in French is 4x20+13.
Or, as another example, 03:48 is three quarts and three minutes of four in Catalan.

According to the fact that numbers can get so complicated, I wanted to ask whether there are any thoughts about ever making it possible to mark number / number + counter combinations as lingqs.

I know this would help me a lot in learning Japanese counters (and sound changes with specific numbers) and probably others might use it for other languages.

Best regards,

Pol

Is this not already possible? What prevents you from marking numbers and counters as lingqs?

Well, maybe there is something I am not seeing but whenever I encounter some number and counter (i.e.7年, 90m, etc.) I can mark the counter but not the number. As you know some counters change the pronunciation depending on which number comes first so I would like to mark specific number counter combinations. And this is not possible now.

Ah, ok, I see now. Never noticed that before. It looks like the reader doesn’t recognize numbers as words.
I agree with you. We should definitely be able to highlight the numbers as well.
Any thoughts, lingq staff?

1 Like

It would certainly be good for Japanese learning with the amount of sound changes that occur due to counters.

You’re doing it wrong.

Why are you translating from English ?

70 isn’t 60 + 10 just because the word for it can be analysed and broken down. Nobody in France counts 70 as 60+10. It’s Soixante-Dix. That’s the word for 70.

Stop adding up and making it complicated and just take the sounds for the numbers as what they are.

99 is quatrevingtdixneuf, not 4x20+10+9.

I can’t speak for the other languages but French numbers are VERY easy. People translating from English and then adding up spread lies that it’s difficult but it’s not.

Au revoir isn’t ‘to the re-seeing’. It means goodbye. Nobody says 'oh French is hard because goodbye is ‘to the re-seeing’ and not just ‘goodbye’. Same thing. quatrevingtdixneuf. Not 4x20+10+9.

That has not really a lot to do with my post suggesting that you can mark numbers in Lingq to be able to remember how to PRONOUNCE them…What I meant is that 70 is PRONOUNCED 60+10 and it would be nice if one were able to lingq it.

It doesn’t have a lot to do with your post that doesn’t mention pronunciation once and says, and i quote,

“As anyone who is learning Japanese knows, Japanese numbers are a pain to learn.”
"The many different number + counter combinations have to be learned to master the language.

Also, other languages have weird things with numbers: 93 in French is 4x20+13.
Or, as another example, 03:48 is three quarts and three minutes of four in Catalan."

?

You added “[it would find learning them]… and sound changes …” as an afterthought to the post.

So i replied to what was there. Which was not about pronunciation.

I mean, in the post itself you say “03:48 is three quarts and three minutes of four in Catalan.”

What does that have to do with how it ‘sounds’ ? You’re clearly translating the numbers into English in your head and so my original post and points stand.

Please don’t try to make me look stupid by pretending you didn’t say something you clearly did.

Also INB4 me not accepting you just pretending you didn’t say what you did means i’m a ‘troll’ :wink:

Look I am sorry that I didn’t express myself right. I had no intention to say that one ought to translate from English. I just meant that if you are learning a language you clearly need to learn the numbers in that language, that means you need to learn how to say the numbers.

My propose is that you can lingq numbers. Solely that.

For example, if you are learning German and the number 3 pops up you would lingq it and write “drei” and the next time that it comes up you would be able to check whether you know it already. Similarly, if 3:15 comes up you might lingq it and write “Viertel nach 3”.

Again my intention is not to call you a troll or anything, I just want to propose that one can lingq numbers and numbers/counters combinations.

1 Like

Forget Cohen***, also known as Droopy c**k. He’s just your typical troll. You were perfectly clear and the point you make is perfectly reasonable

WTF are you talking about ?

There was no mention of pronunciation in the original OP (before it was edited). So how is it clear what he was talking about ?

Answer, it’s not. It wasn’t. You’re simply saying that because you don’t like me. The fact that you would tell lies to someone to further a personal vendetta makes you less than a man. You have no honour. No credibility. No anything. I would call you a worm but they’re useful.

If you’re countering my post that translating numbers into English is not a good thing to do then you have serious issues. That would make you simply a liar. Your total lack of substance as a man actually astounds me. You are pathetic.

Ran into the same problem, I hope some day lingqs for numbers will become an option. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like