Could use some help

So I’m just starting to use the app and I have some questions. Kind of not understanding the point of how this works. So when you start the app and choose a language and choose a lesson you have the text and blue and you’re supposed to click on each word and it pops up with a list of suggestions for that word. And you do that for each word on there. But since I don’t know the language I don’t know which one of these selections to choose for each word. Am I supposed to randomly choose one? There seems to be quite a few differences and a lot of the definitions. So far I have several pages of all yellow. I’m not quite seeing the point here what am I missing?

And after each page it randomly throws up 10 questions none of which I have the answer for. So I end up choosing skip 4 each or just guess.

The general idea is that you want to get rid of the blue words on the lesson page and create LingQs (yellow words) for the words you don’t understand or want to learn better. When you click on a blue word you see different hints for that word in the dashboard on the right-hand side of the page. Choose one of the hints or check the dictionary to create your own hint. You can also tell us if you know the word already or you may sometimes want to ignore the word and not include it in your stats.

You can also adjust your settings and disable options like:
Auto create LingQs, Paging moves to known, or Review LingQs when paging.

The best place to start is by taking a look at the resources on the Academy page - Login - LingQ.

2 Likes

Many words have different meanings, depending on the context. I’m sure you recognize that in your own native language as well. Some words really have just one meaning and you can quickly choose the hint(s) provided. When there is a lot of variability in the hints, I’ll usually check one of the online dictionaries. You’ll start to learn which dictionaries may be preferable (at least in German). Often times some user provided hints are just plain wrong, or sometimes a lesser used meaning has somehow been voted to the top. That’s where doublechecking the dictionary helps.

The other thing you might try at least on the first reading of any lesson is to use sentence mode. I’m not sure how well it works in Korean, but in sentence mode you can quickly click a button that will give a translation for the entire sentence. It uses google translate and isn’t always accurate, but it can be helpful much of the time to give a hint towards the more correct meaning in context.

If the word has a lot of meanings and I’ve confirmed to some degree in an online dictionary, I will often try to choose one of the popular translations that has the various meanings in one “hint”. Otherwise I’ll create my own and list the meanings separated by semicolon. Possibly I’ll also add verb, noun, adjective indicators if the word can be more than one of these.

1 Like

I’m not sure that LingQ can be used effectively without already having a least a bare bones understanding of the language you want to learn. I don’t see how it would be possible to learn Korean (or any language) through LingQ without first doing at least a beginner course in the language.

If you’re doing Korean, let me start by saying that all of the dictionaries and translation services are often difficult to navigate, and this actually gets far worse as you learn more of the language just due to the large number of vocabulary items from Chinese characters. The lack of context and the way that dictionaries and translation services function is not conducive to homophones that all have the same spelling and all have the same pronunciation. On top of this, there is a huge issue for the translation apps because Korean sentences often do NOT have person(I, you (s), he/she/it…) and number (sing/pl) and many phrases have their “topic” determined from earlier sentences.

You’ll be best served using the most popular translations the majority of the time. The more you read and listen, you’ll start to realize if you have some less suitable translations, or hints, but the issue is more that your translations could be incorrect based on the context.

The 10 questions are part of the review feature of the app and can be turned off in settings. I believe you can also increase or decrease the number of reviews and which types of reiview questions in settings if you desire to do so. Personally, I used the review feature at the beginning, but it eventually felt tedious because I would’ve rather kept reading my content.

To be completely honest with you, you need to learn the writing system of any language you’re trying to learn here on LingQ. Lucky for you, Korean is arguably the most simple alphabet in the world! Here are a couple of places to check out for alphabet (Hangul)

https://www.howtostudykorean.com/unit0/unit0lesson1/

You could also check out one of the basic starter books from Teach Yourself or Darakwon. I’d probably just do that free one :smiley: Also, as an added note, you do NOT need to learn Hanja. You may want to if you reach an advanced level in the language, but you by no means NEED to know these Chinese characters in order to enjoy Korean content.

Goodluck! :smiley:

2 Likes

I know a few hundred words in Korean (And the alphabet). Trying to increase my vocabulary as well as put the words into use. Flash cards don’t work as I forget them because I don’t use them.

I was sort of under the impression when I clicked a word it would show the correct definition as someone else would of already selected the correct one.

So the idea is to just keep reading and trying to translate it till the words just get picked up?

That’s correct. Unfortunately, the user definitions can only capture the word form or phrase. The context in which you encounter the word may be different from other users. For example, in your screenshot above, the word “수업을” will not only have suggestions for that word form in your specific lesson., but it will include any instance of the form “수업을” and any user suggestions. I know it’s not perfect, but I think it’s much quicker and better than other systems. Keep in mind that words do have multiple meanings, and trust yourself to problem solve which definition seems right based on the context of your reading. Usually the most popular option is pretty accurate. If you have the option to look at the translation pages next to your text, it’s very helpful. I believe the mini stories and “who is she” story include English translations as well.

You can add multiple definitions to any word that you have marked. If you hover over the textbox where you enter the word information, there is an option to add a second definition.

Eventually, through enough reading and listening, you stop needing to translate. You read or hear something and it has meaning on its own. It takes a long time to get used to new languages, but if you have a reason to spend that much time with it, it’s very rewarding. If using the information means speaking and/or conversing, make sure that you don’t neglect your listening. Listening is very important!!

1 Like