Content for the soon coming Latin library

Ok, Steve, I will try to do that, too. It’s just much easier to record the Ave Maria than the De Bello Gallico!

Beh, in ogni caso non registrerei mai lezioni di latino. Sebbene la pronuncia ecclesiastica sia simile, se non uguale, a quella dell’italiano, credo che ci siano delle particolarità da tenere a mente. Una volta la mia professoressa di latino ci spiegò in dettaglio come pronunciare dittonghi, vocali lunghe e corte, rime e altri elementi linguistici, per lo più appartenenti a testi poetici. Ahimè, non mi ricordo più nulla.

Adalberto, tutte quelle regole di pronuncia delle vocali e dei dittonghi servono più che altro per leggere la poesia in metrica. Non credo ci sia da preoccuparsene tanto.

Ad ogni modo, grazie per la tua disponibilità a creare lezioni di latino.

Presumably the Bible is available in Latin?

I guess the bible would be a tough nut to crack for beginners. Still, translations are available, so…it would be welcome.

Presumably the Bible would take several months to be recorded, Helen! :slight_smile:

Will LingQ resuscitate Latin and generate new legions of students of this magnificent language?

@Michele
Rom wurde auch nicht in einem Tag gebaut!!

Adalberto, this is the big question. Will all of the over one hundred people who voted for Latin actually study this language at LingQ? We shall see.

Roma non est uno die condita. Dictum iste valde mihi placet. Latin was one of my favourite subjects in school and I have plenty of materials. So I am definitely going to add to the library and also study some Latin again. Having the possibility to try speaking this language would make it even more tempting.
About tutors my feeling would be that students tutor each other to find out who can help whom. The quality of individual tutors for Latin would not be easy to assess. If there are Latin teachers among LingQ students all the better, but if not, every student can contribute something for others. My suggestion would be to create a “forum” (a market place) for Latin lovers who can test each other out in the forum at first and then decide whether they should submit writing or sign up for a conversation. I’d find that thrilling :)))
There is a Collection of students’ dialogues by Erasmus of Rotterdam. I have a Reclam edition with German translation, that’s protected by copyright of course, but searching for an online text I discovered this website: The Latin Library
I hope we can use the texts from there. Then I found the full text on this website:
bibliotheca Augustana
BTW a number of languages have been resuscitated: Hebrew, Manx, Cornish, so why not Latin :))) which was a world language not so long ago (science, medicine, law…).
And don’t forget the Latin wikipedia: Lingua Latina - Vicipaedia

At the risk of earning the wrath of any Esperantists lurking here, I am more motivated to study Latin than Esperanto. However, that is just me, and I fully understand that others think differently.

Mike Bond said: “Presumably the Bible would take several months to be recorded, Helen! :)”

I’m pretty sure that Prof Arguelles’ website links to a site where the text and mp3 audio of the Latin Vulgate Bible is available for free download. (They also have the New Testament in Koine Greek, I believe!)

UPDATE:

I’ve just checked, it can be found at: www.greeklatinaudio.com

Thanks!

I have found this Link. Maybe it is useful for someone!??

enjoy! j;-)

Why is the whole Vulgata not available? Maybe because he wanted people to read the Latin NT in parallel with the Koine Greek one?

Here an other page but with german explications:

j;-)

Vielleicht hilft das weiter?

nova vulgata:

vulgata:

http://tinyurl.com/3hk5doh

Ecce! In pictura est puella. Puella est Cornelia. Quis est Cornelia? Cornelia est puella roman quis in Italia habit.

The first lines of my first Latin textbook as I recall.

As for content, my history is a bit vague, but didn’t Galileo write in Latin? He got excommunicated and placed under house arrest for it, so it might be a good read :wink:

Also, are there contemporary accounts of Cleopatra and Caesar?

And librivox has 25 Latin audiobooks we can use.