Compound words different meaning than each individually

I’m leaning Swahili and it’s my first time using LingQ. The second sentence of the first course is:
“Huwa anaandaa kifungua kinywa na kunywa kahawa.” (He always prepares breakfast and drinks coffee.)

kifungua means open and kinywa means mouth. So it literally translates to “open mouth”. However, it’s understood collectively as “breakfast.”

How do I deal with this in LingQ? I haven’t gone Premium yet as I’m trying it out, but I was confused when going through the words and trying to understand what was being said, as LingQ did not make any sense with “He always prepares to open the mouth and drinks coffee.”

1 Like

Single translations come from DeepL or other users that have already written some translation. Compound words could be the same, but in most of the cases are only from DeepL translations because there are less users that search for it or write definitions for them. Those engines are not perfect, it is always up to you to verify your own vocabulary and definitions.

Sentence by sentence translations should be taken as a “possibility” that help you figure out the meaning, but they are not always correct.

In Lingq you can highlight both words, in this case kifungua kinywa, and search/write your own definition. This new definition will be part of your vocabulary for all next times you will find that combination, and it will be part of everybody else popular definitions to be used.

You can also add a tag, for example, that you might like. Then, you can search in your vocabulary for that tag, and eventually review all those combinations.

Hope it helps.