Colors for genders

I’ve read an article about tips to learn German. We have to learn the nouns’ genders by heart. The tip for this is color.
The author of the article proposes to write down the nouns in 3 different colors:
blue for masculine
red for feminine
green for neutrum

I have an idea how to implement it in LingQ!

For every selected word the right part (or pop-up) with a translation should have this word written in black (default state) or according to the gender color.
The words which have no yet defined color should have a list of buttons with different colors: Masculine, Feminine, Neuter. There is no need to distinguish Singular and Plural because sometimes plural form is the same as any singular, it may confuse. Let’s plural forms display the gender of the singular one. Adjective also may have genders in some languages.
There should be a button to complain in case if the color is incorrect. I would allow moderators to look through such complains and correct the color if needed.

Later it would be possible to think about forms of verbs. But let’s they be displayed in black now.

At the beginning the system does not know the genders. It may be not easy to get such info from online dictionaries. So, every user should have a possibility to set the color (gender) or to complain if the color (gender) is incorrect. The system should remember the color for every word and display it for all users (no need to display different genders of the same word for different users, the gender does not depend on a user).
Such a way we would add a possibility to memorize the genders using the colors.

Later it would be possible to add a button to show/hide genders the same way as it is already made for Pinyin in Chinese.

1 Like

I agree that this an excellent suggestion. I use color coding systems for several spreadsheets and word documents of my own, and find it very helpful. I even go as far as assigning a color for an entire language, which may be based on flags, popular culture or perceived preferences. (Ex. orange for Dutch).
On Lingq, I have found it immensely useful to tag every word I lingq, usually with multiple tags. These tags are then searchable, and create great reference and learning lists. Although the tags are not visible to others, and multiple tags for a single search is not yet an option, I use this technique constantly.
The combination of what you are suggesting, and the tags, would be mind-expanding and very useful.

2 Likes