Chinese (Traditional) Web Voice Issues

Currently the only available web voice for Chinese (Traditional) is HuiHui (female), and in terms of audio generation for a news article for example there will always be a really irritating split second pause between each word within the generated audio. I noticed that Chinese (Simplified) does not have this problem with its web voice Zhiyu Mandarin (female), so I was wondering if it would be possible to add the Zhiyu web voice to Chinese (Traditional) as well.
Thank you.

1 Like

This issue has irritated me to no end, in fact it has never worked in Chinese Traditional. Additionally I suspect this is the reason why ‘generate timestamps’ doesn’t work either, it requires a functional TTS.
I have reported the issue many times, on the forum, via email and on slack, I complained, grumbled and ranted - nothing helped. Since you seem to have a much better track record of getting stuff fixed, I’m hopeful again.

What is is reason for this irritating behavior?
In contrast to Chinese simplified which uses AWS Polly for TTS, Chinese Traditional uses Microsoft Azure Speech, which, in theory, is much higher quality. It comes down to the data LingQ actually sends, LingQ doesn’t actually send the raw Chinese text to the server, no they insert spaces between the characters. AWS ignores those, but Microsoft is smart enough to know that Chinese doesn’t use spaces at all and instead assumes the user meant to indicate speech pauses between the characters. Hence the stutter.
I see at least two solutions:

1. Strip the text of whitespaces before making the request
  2. Switch to AWS Polly as well

Additionally:

1. Microsoft Azure offers a plethora of great voices for Chinese, unfortunately users cannot choose among those
  2. The voice chosen for Chinese Traditional is a Mainland Chinese voice, a Taiwanese Mandarin option would be appreciated
1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll check with our team what we can do.

Another strange problem I found, when I click words it pronounces some of them different from pinyin. I’ve assumed first it may be some quirks of Taiwanese pronunciation, but when I listen the whole phrase, it’s pronounced correctly.
For example 精彩 [jingcai] is pronounced as [jingkai], and 龜殼[guike] as [guiqiao] for some reason. Also some words are pronounced by different voices.
Switching the web voice off eliminates these problems.

Any updates?

1 Like

I asked our developers to add that voice option for Traditional Chinese too and it should be done in the near future.

2 Likes

Its added. Thanks

1 Like