Chinese - pinyin gone?

@zoran any update? This has now been bugged for months and has never been an issue in the past. I’m a paying customer since years and one of the key features that lead me to Lingq is not working anymore and you are putting it in a way that it is somehow a “new” feature. It is not…it has always worked and only stopped after an update. Please fix this.

1 Like

@zoran can this please be taken care of?

1 Like

LingQ has been unable to display correct romanization over Chinese for years. Pinyin is often incorrect. The same goes for Japanese, where it’s even worse: the hiragana above kanji (furigana) is completely wrong in many, many cases.
The second annoyance is the word splitting, which is often complete nonsense in Chinese and - even worse - in Japanese.
I would like to subscribe to LingQ if these annoyances were eliminated. But for more than ten years I haven’t seen any improvements. So my testing continues year after year after year, and I am still no paying LingQ subscriber.

1 Like

I asked our team what is the status and will get back to you when I hear from them.

1 Like

I’ve just come back to LingQ after being away for a few months (and just paid one-year subs). Amazing, this issue has been ongoing since August and is still apparently not resolved. I’m too missing pinyin (unless I hover over word one at a time). The whole point of LingQ is to spend time language learning rather than messing about trying to find what’s wrong with .

1 Like

Under Settings → Reader all the way at the bottom, you can enable Transliteration.

1 Like

Thank you Fabbol. My problem is that once I move an unknown word to a known word, then the pinyin is dropped from the known word.

1 Like

Make sure the “Show for Status 1-3 only” option is not enabled.

2 Likes

The issue I reported in August is not resolved. I don’t have the transliteration (in Chinese / Russian etc) in the sidebar. It only appears if I select a “Transliteration style” at the bottom of the settings. The problem with this setting is that I get an interlinear transliteration mixed with the regular text, this is not what I want.
The use case of having transliteration only in the sidebar is not covered anymore by the web app, the iOS app neatly separates the interlinear and the popup / sidebar transliterations. I showed screenshots above.
(Tbf, it’s not a huge deal for me, as I normally save the correct transliteration with the meaning anyways)

2 Likes

Yes, I would also much prefer to have pinyin only in the popup/widget and not in the lesson text (i.e. the opposite of MicKJ’s preference :sweat_smile: ), but it doesn’t work for some reason.

1 Like