ChatGPT Tips

@Eric
"It produced:
“Person 1: Oh mein Gott, hast du das gesehen? Da ist gerade ein Unfall passiert!
Person 2: Ja, ich habe es gesehen. Es sieht schlimm aus. Wir sollten die Polizei rufen.”

This dialogue is pretty good and helpful for SLA.
But the generated story is just uninspired / bad, and some of the German sentences are wrong or, at least, awkward. For example:

• AI: “Eines Tages ist er jedoch in eine schwere Situation geraten und hat seinen Weg verloren.”
  • German native speaker: “Eines Tages ist er jedoch in eine schwierige / heikle / delikate Situation geraten, sodass er vom Weg abgekommen ist / sich verirrt hat.”
    I would avoid such AI-generated stories like the plague.
    Remember the brain-dead parrot staring at a TV tuned to a dead channel? :slight_smile:

That was the joke :). I find it highly unlikely Subjunctive I would survive in normal speech where preterite does not. Subjunctive forms of verbs in Swedish is now essentially reduced to “vore” (were in English), and it is completely gone Norwegian and Danish. I suspect German will one day join us all and eventually lose moods and even its case system :).

@Peter,
Agreed, it’s a pretty lame story. I definitely won’t use it for those purposes, but of course this lame story is perhaps not so bad for something if you are just starting a language and you can perhaps steer it a bit more to a style of story, and or a subject.

Like this:
“Write a story in German about a murder in the style of a mystery and don’t be lame” (LOL)

It came up with:

Es war ein kalter Winterabend in der kleinen Stadt Blackwood. Der Schnee fiel sanft auf die Straßen und die Leute eilten nach Hause, um sich aufzuwärmen. In der Villa am Stadtrand jedoch herrschte Chaos.

Detective John Miller wurde zu dem Tatort gerufen, wo er eine grausige Szene vorfand. Der reiche Unternehmer, Alexander Blackwood, lag tot in seinem Arbeitszimmer, ermordet mit einem Messer.

Miller begann sofort mit den Ermittlungen und interviewte die Familie und das Personal des Opfers. Niemand schien ein Motiv zu haben, aber Miller war sich sicher, dass der Mörder jemand war, der dem Opfer nahestand.

Er begann, die Finanzen von Blackwood zu untersuchen und fand heraus, dass das Unternehmen in Schwierigkeiten steckte. Miller verdächtigte den Finanzberater des Opfers, Peter Thompson, und begann, ihn zu verhören. Thompson bestritt jedoch jede Schuld und Miller war unsicher, ob er der Mörder war.

Miller durchsuchte das Arbeitszimmer des Opfers erneut und fand ein geheimes Tagebuch, in dem Blackwood über seine Probleme mit einem Geschäftspartner namens Michael Green schrieb.

I think a little better than Asad’s story, but then again I wasn’t limiting it to the top 500 most common words. Still I won’t be substituting books for this, but I can maybe having a “conversation” with it. Or maybe asking for dialogues. It is pretty intriguing. I even asked it to create some programming code for me (stuff I already knew but was curious what it would do).

Yes, German will follow the English lead:

• No real cases
  • Past tense - overrated
  • Subjunctive mood - overrated
  • Articles: Who needs the no-information of “der”, “die” and “das” when “da” is more than enough :slight_smile:

And thousands of English words are also already part of the German language.

Maybe the perfect SLA shortcut would be:
Just use English, but pronounce the words in German.

Sounds like real Denglish, doesn’t it? :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input Peter. At my level I’m definitely not in spot where I can judge the quality of the German getting produced here. I agree in probably finding more use for this with dialogues. Definitely it is not winning any Pulitzer Prize. =)

If anyone wants a laugh, they can ask ChatGPT to make them a conlang!

“Can you create a synthetic conlang that uses V2 word order and has many cognates from Sámi languages?”

Here is what I got back.

Nouns:
Nouns in this conlang are inflected for case and number. There are four cases: nominative, accusative, genitive, and dative.

Verbs:
Verbs are inflected for tense, mood, and person. Tenses include present, past, and future. Moods include indicative, subjunctive, and imperative.

Articles:
The definite article is “da” and the indefinite article is “ei”.

Pronouns:

Personal pronouns in the nominative case are:
1st person singular: mun
2nd person singular: du
3rd person singular: son
1st person plural: mii
2nd person plural: dut
3rd person plural: sii

Possessive pronouns are inflected for person and number and follow the noun they modify.
1st person singular: munin
2nd person singular: dunin
3rd person singular: sonin
1st person plural: miin
2nd person plural: dutin
3rd person plural: siin

Demonstrative pronouns are:
“dette” for “this”
“datte” for “that”

Interrogative pronouns are:
“man” for “who”
“met” for “what”
“me” for “where”
“mo” for “when”
“mik” for “why”
“moz” for “how”

Here are a few example sentences in this conlang:
Mun elen du. (I see you.)
Son válddii eamit. (He caught a fish.)
Mii álgit goikkat dut. (We will go hunting with you.)
Datte lea ráhkaduvvon. (That is forbidden.)
Man lea dutnje namma? (What is your name?)

Now, technically I didn’t ask for a Uralic conlang, just a conlang with Sámi cognates, so I won’t judge it for having articles or not having “enough” cases. But I can say, from my intro course in Davvisámegiella, the words look Sámi.

What is funny to me though, is how it introduces cases and then proceeds to not use them in the example sentences. In this example, we technically don’t see the accusative 2nd person singular pronoun, so we don’t know if it is being followed (presuming dut is dative), but I had done some other tests with a friend and most of them had example sentences that did not track at all with the stated rules for the conlang.

Da will eventually be enough. First you have to have a common gender and neuter like Dutch and Platt. We’ll say de and da, it’ll go nicely with your indefinite articles of n and ne.

Yes this feels like it’s just around the corner. For the moment it’s quite limited with even it’s typing ability as it can’t change fonts, bold, italicize, underline, etc. But this is definitely gonna be where it gets crazy interesting

Lol oh God this is something I didn’t consider. At some point polyglots will learn everyt language and then start creating their own languages.

1 Like

To me, ChatGPT is an absolute game changer. Nothing comes even close. You can do so much, it is insane. I simply hope it stays free.

Here are some examples:
a) create cloze sentences
b) practice outputting/writing in your L2
c) practice sentence patterns, etc
d) ask it to express things in different words in order to get to know other ways of expressing things, etc

it’s a very smart way…thank you

I have no idea about doing this vividly , can any one make a video and teach us?

But who’s gonna click on the video for you and watch it for you? And then learn the language for you. Because what can be more easy and simple than typing your question into YouTube or Google to find that there’s already 100500 videos about chatGPT and how to use it?
But if somebody cares enough to take your hand and show around the Internet for you, they’re could also teach you how to poop by yourself :smiley:

OMG, I hadn’t thought of using it to create stories using specified words. It wouldn’t be quite as efficient as Anki since it’s not going to be spaced perfectly, but at least it’s a way to get extra exposure without having to re-read the same text. :+1:

It wouldn’t be quite as efficient as Anki

It seems that you’ve got hard beliefs that spaced repetition is irreplaceable.

Think about how many things we remember once and for all. That stupid guy in the supermarket two years ago, that bicthy Karen on the gas station about half a year ago and her speech word by word, that special birthday when you had gotten that special gift from someone you love, the day your kids were born.

Spaced repetition curve is not about remembering really, it’s about forgetting things we don’t really single out from daily routine.

In that sens, generating catchy contexts could work a lot faster.

When I get a word that I’m confused with its usage (many different meanings), I have chatGPT write sentences with each meaning and provide an English translation for each. It’s like having a teacher that doesn’t annoy!

Facts!

Hi mostafa19,

why not ask ChatGPT directly?
For example, like this (for Arabic: How Can You Use ChatGPT To Learn Arabic? | Arabic For Nerds)

User: "How can I use ChatGPT to learn Arabic?
ChatGPT: There are a few ways that you can use ChatGPT to learn Arabic:

1. Vocabulary practice: You can use ChatGPT to help you practice new vocabulary words. Simply input a word or phrase in English, and ChatGPT will provide the Arabic translation. You can also use it to get the Arabic pronunciation of a word.
  2. Grammar practice: ChatGPT can also help you with grammar practice. You can input a sentence in English and ask ChatGPT to translate it into Arabic. This can help you see how the grammar structures are used in different sentences.
  3. Writing practice: You can use ChatGPT to practice writing in Arabic by inputting a prompt or a topic in English and ask ChatGPT to write a short text in Arabic. This can help you learn how to construct sentences and paragraphs in Arabic, and get feedback on your writing.
  4. Translation: ChatGPT is also useful as a translation tool, you can use it to translate text from English to Arabic or vice versa.
  5. Reading and Listening practice: You can use ChatGPT to practice your reading and listening skills by asking it to read a text in Arabic or have a conversation in Arabic.
    It’s important to remember that ChatGPT is a language model and its main goal is to generate text based on the input it receives. Therefore, it’s important to validate the output it produces and use it as a support tool rather than a definitive source. It’s also recommended to use it in combination with other resources and study materials to have a more comprehensive learning experience."

Very thanks , I wrote the comment before I searched, but now I understand ,I thought it was difficult. You’re very respectful unlike the one named “S.I” I think he talks to his mother in the same way.

Your way indicates your upbringing, I think you talk to your mother and your family like that, but when it comes to others, you have to respect yourself.