ChatGPT and mnemonics

Great prompt! Imma gonna steal it! :slight_smile:

I like your idea David. Thanks. No idea about the images but that would be cool too. Did you use an AI tool for that? How do you do that?

@davideroccato
ohhhhh. Didn’t know that, and wasn’t sure what the “playground” was. Was just assuming it was the openai one and that maybe there was a non logged in version they had recently put out that was less functional.

@nfera,
I’m totally with you, and my process, at least in a general sense, is just like yours. In fact, I’ve never used mnemonics in my language learning so far. I learned about them actually in a general sense from a book on memorization techniques a long time ago. Also, well before I found lingq I had seen suggestions to use them in memorizing vocabulary, but never really found a place to fit it in, especially once I’d discovered Memrise and then ultimately LingQ.

A few days ago, I started thinking about them again…There are some pesky words I’ve come across many many times and also there’s a lot of “variations” of base verbs with different prefixes which give entirely different meanings. I often get tangled up with these unless the context is really clear. I mused that it might be helpful in this respect too.

I definitely don’t see them taking up much of my time, (like probably 1%) and mostly want to try them on the use cases above.

With the first one I just went to quickly use DALL-E, and the second one is Stable Diffusion. But I just did 5’ really, I never use them for now.

Another use may be to help with the difference between synonyms.

Me: In Spanish, agarrar and coger are synonyms. When is one more appropriate than the other?

GPT: While “agarrar” and “coger” are often used interchangeably as synonyms for “to grab” or “to take” in many Spanish-speaking countries, there are some regional differences in usage that can affect which word is more appropriate to use in certain situations.
In some regions, “coger” can have vulgar connotations and be seen as a crude or offensive term, while “agarrar” is more commonly used in polite or formal settings. In other regions, both words are used more or less equally and without any negative connotations.
As a general guideline, it’s best to pay attention to the local usage and context, and choose the word that seems to fit the situation best. If in doubt, “agarrar” is generally considered to be the safer and more polite option.

Has anyone tried ChatGPT 4, (the $20/month version), yet to see how much better it is a suggestions and story writing?

I tried it randomly for other things and it’s much better in a lot of things. I posted in the other thread the difference in data. I don’t have the Plus version yet, but I don’t know how long I will resist. :smiley:

No…I think if it was more like $10 or lower I might fight it intriguing enough. Problem is, I have enough content in German to last me several lifetimes so what I would use it for is already good enough I think. I have used it for a few coding odds and ends, but still not enough to justify ME paying for it.

Maybe I might get it for a month somewhere along the way, but I need to pick a time where I can get a lot of use out of it check it out.

Yes, I have tried ChatGPT 4 and I can say that it is definitely worth the money. I have found that it is much better at suggesting movies and giving detailed story ideas. I think it is a great tool for anyone who wants to expand their creativity.

Great! Thanks for the feedback.