Chat Area - would that be good?

I know, we have the Forum here. We can bring a lot of questions. But it is difficult for some members to know, where he or she should ask.
It is difficult for members, to find such questions fast, because not each new topic brings a message in your email box.

Would it be possible to create a CHAT area. This would be ONE place, where I could look very fast if there is a topic I would take part. In this Chat, we would have more discussions, perhaps. The member has not to pay like OpenExchange Request.

It is only an idea, and I don’t know if that is really wanted.

2 Likes

Oh, no, Irene, what a wonderful idea to spend even more time on LingQ! My washing up would never get done!

4 Likes

it is not a must to answer, Sanne, it is only to find faster if anyone want to have a discussion or a question about anything.
In the big area of the Forum, the question can be lost.

1 Like

Procrastination! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If chat does not mean voice chat, you can use a thread as a chat place. I think you can create a thread titled ‘Let’s chat in English’, ‘Miscellaneous’, or something in the ‘Open Forum in English’ forum. Everyone can post a question without creating a new thread. Everyone except a troll.

Some threads have more than two-hundred thousand comments, and that has not caused any trouble to the LingQ system. I suppose that you do not have to worry about the maximum number of comments per thread.

Correction:
“Two-hundred thousand” should read “one thousand.”

@Yutaka
I think a voice Chat will not be able. But years ago, before I learned to know The Linguist (later LingQ), I visited another place for learning. There, we had a voice Chat and a box, where you could write each other. It was interesting but sometimes confusing!

No, here I mean to have only ONE place that is called CHAT (or another Name) as headline as it is now with “Ask Your Tutor” - “Open Forum on LingQ” - “Support Forum” - and so on.
In the title, you can see in which language it is written and so you can decide if you want or if you are able to take part.

I am not sure, if that is working but the idea came, when I read the “Exchange Requests”. There I thought, this would be a topic to speak more about.

@ Yutaka: does the number you quote refer to actual comments or to views? If it is comments, then that’s a considerable amount of words to imagine.

@Yutaka
A chat is supposed to be a real-time feature, which a forum is not.

@mfr
This is a real-time chat, isn’t it? With some time lag.
I like the edit function of the forums.
I can also submit it for correction!
In addition, I can erase it completely.
(Edited)

I dont think so, Yutaka. You have to refresh the page to see posts other people write after you. In a real-time chat it’s the chat system that does it, and the lag is smaller, otherwise you’d fall asleep while chatting. :slight_smile:

edited “fall”

I see what you mean!

Edited addressee

P.S. My last remark can stand as a reply to many people and many things. Take your pick!

I did not know the word ‘addressee’. The plural form is addressees, isn’t it?

Addressor and addressee.

addresses is the plural.

addressee is who the message was sent to.
sendee is the recipient of the message.

transferee is the person who is transferred or who is given a title or property.

-ee basically means “the person who was”
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_words_suffixed_with_-ee

I really like this one abductee - Wiktionary

you hear the “ee” ending in lawyerese

1 Like

I see, we have here a discussion like a chat :slight_smile:

@ yutaka

The plural of “addressee” is usually “addressees”, exactly as you have written it.

Address, addresses - addressee, addressees.

The person to whom I make out a cheque is the payee (he is being paid), as @spatterson explained. If I make out cheques to several people, those then are the payees.

A woman who has been divorced is a divorcee. 1 divorcee + 1 divorcee = 2 divorcees. I don’t think the male equivalent (a divorcE - with stress on the ‘e’) is used, unlike the pair who got engaged: the fiance and the fiancee. N.B. The examples in this sentence are slightly different, they are based still on the French grammar and spelling, I think.

If I were now to sign this missive, I’d be the signee.