Changing levels

Hi,
are the actual and target levels automatically changed when all the activities goals are achieved?

No, they aren’t. You will have to adjust your target level yourself when you feel you have achieved the next level. We do intend to eventually introduce a testing system which will enable you to test yourself to see when you’re at the next level.

I take the liberty to re-post what I wrote in another thread (“How realistic are the goals at LingQ?”):

Speaking of goals, has anybody here changed the ‘level’ yet?

I’ve been a member of LingQ since early August, and studied with the method on a nearly daily basis. Depending on the starting level of the different languages, one may notice that it takes slightly more (or less) work than one has planned. From time to time the “2 months” (from the dropdown menu) might be close to what is recommended, and sometimes “7 days” shows a better result.

Under Overview->Set your goals (or My level: X->Change") one can see guidelines for what one is supposed to be able to do at the level.

While I’m pretty close to the recommended targets (and way beyond, for some categories) I may not feel that I have reached the level where I can do this or that. So, in a way I don’t really know if I should change my level.

Has anybody else thought of this? Have you changed anyway, or have you waited until your stats match (or surpass) the targets?

Having a testing system in mind (which you’ve just mentioned), I think that it could be quite helpful. However, one could also spend an extra month on the current level. Nothing wrong with that.

When I started at lingq, I decided to put myself at the intermediate-I level, but I was not sure it was the “correct” one. Today I can feel it was a good choice and was very near to my real abilities in English.
The main measure to me is the known words, the others I consider as mere suggestions, since I couldn’t see much logical basis for those numbers. Ok, I realize that I need to speak, and write and listen to a lot of content, but I feel the amount suggested are only guesses, without further substantial reason. Yet the number of known words seems to me as a more accurate measure of ‘level’.
But I think the level doesn’t mean too much. It only gives you some clues of where you are. To achieve a new level is interesting to raise periodically the motivation, since learning a language well is a really hard work, even using lingq.

Jeff, the targets are really only there as a guideline for you. Many members are looking for guidance as to which activities to spend time on and how much time to spend. As Ana points out, the key measure from our point of view is the vocabulary level.

Having said that, you can adjust your level any time you feel like it. After all, the evaluation in the system is a self-evaluation. If, at any time, you look at the different levels and feel you should be at the next level, you can change it. We will eventually have a testing module on LingQ to help you evaluate but in the meantime you can judge how well you understand when you’re listening or reading, how well you do in a conversation or in a writing sample.

As you point out, since your activities are essentially the same at all levels, it is not crucial to be at your exact level. In fact, your exact level is always going to be difficult to measure. The bottom line is always going to be how comfortable you feel in all language situations.