Can't find native speakers of other languages than those you offer

Until not so long ago, we had a “Native speakers” filter allowing us to find native speakers of most languages, including those not offered at LingQ. This helped those who study other languages to find language partners.
However, it looks like this is no longer possible. I wanted to look for native speakers of Catalans, in order to ask them for help to create content in Catalan, but the “Native speakers” filter only shows the languages that can be studied at LingQ. Was this done on purpose? Why?

Interesting! If I remember correctly, users in LingQ can only set up ONE native language in their profiles. For your case, I think, most Catalans are bilingual, most probably in Catalan and Spanish. Do they set up their native language as Catalan or as Spanish? I think, to attract more exchange opportunities, it is earlier to set it as Spanish, no? :slight_smile:

Yes, I guess most of them set Spanish as their native language, but some of the Catalans I referred to LingQ did set Catalan. However, the issue is not just about Catalan, but about all the languages that are not available at LingQ. Until recently, the list of languages we could use as a filter was very long (and included even some unknown languages, although some European languages like Luxembourgish were missing). Now, it’s gone.

@mikebond
Sorry to divert your previous thread. I understand what you said and also agree with you that some previous options are missing in the current version. I just wanted to use this chance to spot a potential limitation which also causes problems of low number in native-speaker-searching even the options are back. :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree. We should have more than one field for the languages we speak (and be able to specify our proficiency level for each of them). Some people are bi- or trilingual, so it’s difficult for them to state just one native language.

@mikebond - On the Friends Search page you’ll be able to find the filter you mention above: http://www.lingq.com/friends/search/

In the interest of keeping things simple, we don’t have any plans to add support for multiple native languages.

Alex, that was the page I meant, but I couldn’t find it…

@mikebond - No problem! You can access this page by going to the Exchange then clicking “Advanced search” on the right.

Yes, I eventually found it. Maybe it could be made more prominent…

@Alex “In the interest of keeping things simple, we don’t have any plans to add support for multiple native languages.”

Keeping things simple for your programmers or for the users? I think having a table where people can input all the languages they speak with the respective proficiency level (native speaker, advanced, fluent, intermediate, beginner…) wouldn’t be difficult to understand. Several websites I’m a member of do have such a system (Couchsurfing, BeWelcome, Interpals).

2 Likes

@mikebond - We actually have something similar in the Known Words numbers that show up on a user’s profile. Granted, not everyone has learned their languages at LingQ but it performs a similar function to what you mention above.

Uhm, honestly I don’t see such a similarity… We don’t study the languages we are already proficient in as much as those we are learning. From my Known Words figures, one could think my Portuguese is more advanced than my English or Spanish, which is not true. And I’m not studying Latin at LingQ, but I’m quite advanced in it. And you certainly know that understanding the meaning of some words doesn’t mean you can actively use them.

@mikebond - Yes, you’re right. Perhaps in the future we can find a better way to indicate proficiency in languages that members have studied elsewhere. However, I don’t see us doing anything with this for now.

Ok, Alex. I will patiently wait for this.

I support Michele’s idea. The number of known words is not related to the proficiency.