Can you say your alphabet?

I’m working through the beginner material for Japanese now. It’s baffling with the different alphabets. I don’t understand whether I should be learning hiragana, kana, both at once, or neither?

On the plus side, I really like the recording of Emma reciting the hiragana “alphabet”. It’s very helpful to hear it all pronounced by a native. I think this would be a useful exercise if all tutors, of all languages, could record themselves reciting their alphabet the way they were taught it as children. It’s one of those things that’s obvious to a native but not to a learner.

I shall record myself when I get some peace in the house :wink:

Kana is term used for both hiragana and katakana.
Also there is kanji - hieroglyphics.

I am also the beginner learner of Japanese, you know :slight_smile: The usual way of learning written Japanese is hiragana, katakana, kanji… But I was curious how my name is spelled in Japanese, so I started with katakana (katakana is used for borrowings, foreign names and like italics at European languages). For me learning katakana is rather inspiring as I wathc figure skating a lot and there are some Japanese ads at rinks. Like ライフカーダ、 アコム. First is “LifeCard” I suppose, but the second… I still don’t know what it is :slight_smile: But I can read it :slight_smile: Yes, I still can’t read the original Japanese texts, but the fact, that I can understand some small pieces inspires me go on :slight_smile:
But usual way is hiragana, then katakana, as katakana is not widely used.

ライフカーダ - no. it was ライフカード

I think Hiragana looks prettier :wink:

Yes, but all these curls and ringlets were totally identical for me :slight_smile: I just was not able to dictinguish them :)))

I love the idea of recording the alphabet ! Perhaps those doing this, will speak each letter and then speak one or two representative words to illustrate that letter. If nothing else, this will help to broaden the easy content available in each language. Sometimes beginners just want to hear something very very simple and not have to struggle with some of the more difficult material right off the bat. I have gone from Muito Prazer directly to Steve’s Book, which are the only two things available in European Portuguese, and I really wish there was quite a bit more on the very easy level.

Both “ライフカード” and “アコム” are the consumer banking companies’ names. Rasana is right. “ライフカード” means “Life Card,” but “アコム(Acom)” doesn’t mean anything. It is just a name, I think.

It was Rasana’s idea to record Hiragana little by little. So it is easier for learners to memorize them. Soon, I will be making a course for it. Actually, I was planning just now, and I realized there is only 11 lessons. I need 12 lessons to start a course!!! Gaaaah. I am going to just pick one lesson written in Hiragana, then.

Helen, your name is “ヘレン” in Katakana. “へれん” in Hiragana.