Can anybody share his/her adventures and quest in acquiring languages

Can anybody share his/her adventures and quest in acquiring languages

1 Like

My adventure is slow, but I keep moving along. I read better than I can speak. Language is regional so I try to keep language partners from the same country so that the words and dialect is similar. But I have collected a few partners in Spain, Mexico, Columbia, and a few other place. It takes time! Most of my partners are female so we talk about cooking, work, dating, and just goofy stuff. We laugh a lot but enjoy our time together.
WhatsApp is our friend so when we are not talking we exchange short messages about our day and correct each others messages.

3 Likes

I started my language journey in German in March 2020. I started my level just with a few greetings. How are you? Thank you? You are welcome. What is your name? This was my level.
Right now I am watching movies and television series German language seems like it is flowing. Since then I have done 2100 hours of focused listening(radio plays, audiobooks, TV series, movies) and almost read 1.5 million words on LingQ.
At this point, literally, all Germans have stopped talking to me in English. It shows me that this amount of listening hours is a “bare minimum”. I have set my goal of achieving working fluency by March 2023. I will keep engaging myself in the language every day. So far engaging in the German language is my only “social activity”. My aim is to achieve a 3000-hour goal in listening by the end of this year. I spend 6 hours listening every day. I do not know if you consider it a fast journey but seems to me like a full-time job.

3 Likes