[bug] generate timestamps overwrites created timestamps

Today, for lesson Login - LingQ from article Sunnuntai 15.5.2022 (radio) | Yle Uutiset selkosuomeksi | Yle Uutiset. After changing the timings and starting to the “view lesson” i.e. my analysis of words, at some point I started doing sentence mode to see the translation and hear the sound of the sentence, and again like before I got tty instead of the news reader. So I checked the “edit lesson” for the timings and the recording of the suspect sentence, and everything was in order. I thought: Ok, cache. So I ended the browser: no difference, still tty voice. I changed browser, twice, same result. Whether on Chrome or on Firefox or on the free version of chrome, they all have the same result: in sentence mode I get the tty voice when pressing .

Hope this helps?

Today, again, I had a total overwrite of timings. The lesson is “Login - LingQ” with the origin being from “Keskiviikko 18.5. (radio) | Yle Uutiset selkosuomeksi | Yle Uutiset”.

After importing the text I added the sound and did a generate time-stamps. Then I immediately started changing time-stamps in one go. After the last change I did a view lesson and checked the time-stamps through another edit lesson, and everything was in order. The listen with sync however, did not sync at all.

After a few hours I wanted to do the analysis in view lesson and, just to be sure, I checked the timings and noticed that the first timings were back to the old value. From the first timing to the last timing, everything was overwritten.

It shouldn’t really matter, but I did the first phase (import + generate + changes) in firefox. I closed firefox and did the view lesson (hours later) in chrome.

I really hope you guys can figure out what is going on. It is extremely demotivating to have to redo changes hours later. That is additional to the idiotic click twice philosophy. The editor just has to save every change, but waits until I clicked something to do it, then blocks and then forces me to do the click again. So I already did the change twice, now I have to do it twice again!

EDIT: I am going to do the changes again, because the current timings really don’t work for me.

Hello again. Just to let you know that we have identified some issues and our developers are looking into it. We will have some improvements soon.

Today, another weird occurrence. Lesson is Login - LingQ. I had imported the lesson, and got an “imported successfully” message immediately. Then, I added a new sentence and added the audio, did the “generate time stamps” and started editing time stamps to my liking.

After that, I analyzed the words (view lesson) and listened to the lesson in sync. Everything was in order.

When the listening in sync was done I got the terrifying message popup “imported successfully” as soon as I pressed the sync button to get back to normal text.
I suspect the timings are overwritten again and the sentence I added is gone.

However, I can no longer see the lesson. I can open it, and I get the template that you usually see while the opening is in progress (all words are grey bars).

EDIT: 8 hours later I can still not open the lesson. I get the icon with the appropriate picture, but the text is all gray bars. I can open other lessons, no problem.

I really hope this is part of the problem being fixed …

Today, 2022-06-01, the set of time-stamps and text was overwritten again, after doing generate time-stamps and successively an add of a sentence plus modifying time-stamps. It happened while being about 4/5th of the lesson. I noticed because the time-stamps were suddenly 1 sentence off.
So I reloaded the lesson through the lesson overview and the time-stamps had been reset, plus the sentence I added was gone.

I noticed, as before, that the popup “imported successfully” did not appear at the start. And as it shows only for a short period, I might have missed when it showed later on.

EDIT: during the repair, I noticed that the sentence was gone, but also the time-stamps were only gone up to point. Time wise this makes sense. Somewhere along the line the procedure decided to reset timings. Also, from the point where the sentence was deleted, the timings were shifted by one sentence, which also makes sense.
So: only timings until the unfortunate save were altered (about 1/3rd) and the added sentence was deleted, but the new timing (from 1/3rd to 2/3rd) were not: they just shifted a sentence.

Can you please give me an update on what is going on here? Is there any progress? I am really feeling pretty depressed about this error as it causes a lot of extra work. And there does not seem to be a lot of hope of repair.

Yesterday the time-stamps were overwritten again. When I did not get the pop “successfully imported” straight away, I knew this was going to happen, question was “when?”. So I updated the time-stamps partially and then left it. Today, time-stamps were reset. It is easy for me to see, because the generate time-stamps always over estimates the first few time-stamps by a lot, so I usually reset to 9.0 seconds or less.
I will update and publish this lesson today. The name is Login - LingQ the news of wednesday.

I am getting to be really fed up with this aspect of the system. Is there any update of progress? I even forgo mentioning any other errors I find, because it feels hopeless.

[2022-06-09 thursday] Again, a partial overwrite. This time, I had to join 2 lines into the first of the two, deleting the second one (start of text). Secondly, I added 2 lines in the last part of the text. Then I started editing the time-stamps and after the 3rd or 4th time-stamp, suddenly the audio was one line off again.

The program had decided to leave the joined line as is, but re-insert the deleted line. The lines at the end were still inserted. This is an image of the result; The time-stamp on the second line, was with the line following the un-deleted line. So, it undeletes, but leaves the changed time-stamps, causing all following time-stamps to shift one line.

EDIT1: a few hours later, I edit the file again, and it had changed again. As I cannot add another screenprint, I have to describe it. The joined line had be replaced by the original first half of the split line. The second line I had deleted (as it was in the joint line) was still deleted. The time-stamp had been replaced by old values.
Additionally, the 2 new lines at the last part of the file, were gone, undeleted.

I don’t know what to say. I am exhausted from worrying about this error every day: will it overwrite the time-stamps? Will it leave it alone? WIll it delete lines? Or will it just ignore parts of my edits?

How long does it take before it is safe to edit a lesson? Why is the save not immediate, following a generate time-stamps? Why is it delayed? The saving-mechanism is seriously broken! Pfffffffffffff.

[2022-06-11 saturday] Is a feature still broken if we don’t use it anymore?

It shouldn’t be, but it is. Today I decided to skip the “generate time-stamps” entirely and just enter my own time-stamps. Of course, that was not what happened.

After changing the first two entries, the third entry, upon using “copy previous end time” copied a seemingly random value, but one that look suspiciously like a generated time-stamp. The previous time-stamp was nine, but upon copy I got 13.2.

So, I exited editing (using view lesson) and re-entered the edit-session. Now, I saw that all time-stamps had been generated. I re-iterate: I did not press generate time-stamps!!

Apparantly the “generate time-stamps” is not just broken, it is a dominant terror even if you do not use it.

Can you please tell me, this helps you find out what is wrong? At least tell me something. If there is no way for me edit time-stamps without the “generate time-stamps” interfering, then … I don’t know how to proceed.