Best Spanish immersion books similar to Dino lernt Deutsch?

Good idea! I went over there and checked a few of them out.

I’m reading the first Paco Ardit story, but while it looked perfect at first, as I get further into it, I’m noticing the writing is quite flat and there’s very little in the way of character-building. It may get better in the more advanced books, so maybe I was too conservative in going for the easiest level first. I’ll stick with it to the end of the story, then I may try something of his around CEFR B1 to see if the writing gets better.

I’m gonna try the first Lola Lago book. These look as if they might be fun. Did you get the ones with the CD, or does the Kindle version maybe have a link to a website where we can download the audio?

To be honest, I’ll be surprised if there are Spanish readers that are as much fun as the Dino lernt Deutsch books. The problem is, writing such books takes talent in both language-teaching and engaging writing, and I suspect that’s a very rare combination.

But we’ll see. I’ll keep looking and trying out the books you folks have pointed out. Thanks so much to everyone who has posted for all the recommendations! I feel like finally I might be able to find something that meets my needs.

1 Like

There are also readers available based on TPRS teaching methodology.
TPRS Readers

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah, I’m finding I’m having trouble sorting out the various tenses, so I may need something like this. I’m kinda surprised, because I started learning Spanish with Duolingo (which is all about getting tenses and grammar right) in 2020, but after a few months I kinda stopped, but when I started up again a month ago I expected that I’d find grammar a bit easier, but I seem to have forgotten a whole lot.

2 Likes

I have read La Fuga(C1) and I’m just about to finnish La ultima apuesta(C2) by Paco Ardit and I have to say that they are great stories indeed and very recommendable. Also Juan Fernandez’s books. I’ve read them all and they rule… I listen to the dudes podcasts everyday at work.

On the other hand reading Olly Richard’s Short Stories is kind of torture. I feel like my brain cells die when I read them. His dialogue books are better tho…

2 Likes