Basic errors in Spanish lessons

I was just trying out this site and was doing “SpanishLingQ Beginner - (Who is She?) (Colombia), Part 2” from Steve’s lesson plan. It seems to have several words already that are missing accent marks (what are those called?) over the words, such as “si” and “cual.” At least, according to the dictionary entries. It seems like learning from faulty materials is going to teach you a lot of wrong things. Or am I way off base?

you’re off base. keep learning.

There may be mistakes in some of our content items. These are all submitted by native speakers. If you can copy the full sentence it will be easier to tell if there are mistakes so that we can correct any .

In order to learn a language you have to cover a lot of content, and I mean a lot. If there is the odd mistake here or there, it will not influence your learning. The overwhelming majority of the content you see will be correct. To be a good language learner you have to be able to deal with uncertainty.

I had a good look at Who is She and problems there were widespread. We have corrected it all now. Please advise if you see other problems.

Thank you very much drivers99, and I apologize.

We rely on many people to create and contribute content and it is not possible to edit everything. We will be enabling editing committees for each language in the future. It is on our list but there is still lots to do before we get there.

Ha. I guess I wasn’t off base after all, eh? But donneil’s post seems to have bumped up the thread and made it get noticed again, so that’s good… Of course, every native source has some mistakes, it’s just… when it’s the first thing you see in the first item of a course, it’s not a good sign. :slight_smile: I’m skeptical of anything that’s made specifically for non-native speakers. The reason is that you never know if they are going to change how they say stuff because you’re non-native. For example, in the textbook I originally used for Japanese they only teach you the polite form (and in roman letters! Even when the finally got to using kanji+kana, they put spaces around the words, which isn’t what the Japanese do), and the teacher always talked really slow, so I was never able to understand real-life Japanese. But anyway…

Thanks for looking into it, Steve.

I’ll take another look at the Japanese (beta) section. Last time I checked, it didn’t work because (as mentioned above) Japanese doesn’t use spaces and the Lingq requires spaces to create linqs.

correction, it doesn’t highlight the linq in the Japanese text.

You are right and it is one of the things that we hope to get to in the near future.