Bad Chinese segmentation, how to fix it?

Is it possible to fix manually LingQ’s bad Chinese words segmentation?
Shall I go to edit lesson and change sentence by sentence? If I put spaces by myself will I be able to let LingQ understand how to recognise individual words?
A revamp of LingQ’s segmentation library would be well appreciated. I still use LingQ, but I feel it could be improved for Chinese learners.

1 Like

In my reading I generally encounter an average of 1 or 2 bad groupings per sentence. I do fix spacing with “edit sentence.” It’s quick, but a little inconvenient when it happens continually; beginners might find the erroneous groupings confusing/frustrating. LingQ is great in that it saves me the approximately 3 hours of lesson prep time that I used to spend every week. But fixing the spacing problem would be a vast improvement.

2 Likes

Do you go to “edit lesson” or are you able to change the sentence quickly from the lesson itself without going into that? Maybe that is possible using Rooster plugin, I didn’t try it yet.

No, actually. Open “sentence view” (it’s one of the little rectangles at the bottom of the screen), and then when you click the three-dot menu at the top right corner of the LingQ screen you’ll see a drop-down menu, and one of the options is “edit sentence”. You click inside the textbox - TWICE - and then just delete the erroneous space and/or insert a new space where/if needed. Click “Done” at the top right corner of the “edit sentence” page, and you’ll land in the next sentence of the lesson. Back-arrow from there to get back to the sentence you just edited, and have the fun of watching the words scoot into the proper positions. :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention; if something you do changes the meaning of the text, you can also select the translation textbox and delete the translation, and it will generate a new one the next time you choose to view the translation of the sentence, in sentence mode.

1 Like

Oh I see, in “sentence view”. I’m used to the other view, but I should use sentence view more often. Thank you

1 Like

good to know, thanks. Your answer is useful :slight_smile:

1 Like