Are you working on Lings today (Saturday morning 22, 2012)

I have logged out and back in a few times in an attempt to correct a problem with the lack of audio I am experiencing.

Thanks!

Murray (LeWhetene)

Are you having problems with the audio for all lessons? You may want to check if you have the most recent version of Flash player installed (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/) and see if that helps!

Hi Alex!

Sorry for being so vague about the issue. I’ve only been using the system for a few days. In that time, I have experienced periodic problems with the audio associated with some lessons, but not always the same lessons. I tried using Chrome and Firefox and met with similar results. I “just now” switched back to IE9 and things were working until I preformed a “re-order” of the lessons, using “sort from A-Z”. After doing that, the audio for the lessons stopped working. I have to log-out and log back in again to be able to hear the audio for that (and other) lessons. If I again re-order (A-Z), I loose the audio again.

I have the latest updated version of IE9 and Flash player installed.

Thanks!

Murray

UPDATE: It seems that “any” reordering of the lessons will result in loss of audio for “all” the lessons. I have to refresh the window to get the audio back. If I then try a search, change any perameters in the left side panel, or attempt any reorder, the audio stops working.

@Lewhetene- So, are you saying that when in the library and setting any of the filters or sorts, the audio preview does not play? What about when you open the lesson itself? Does the audio play properly then? When you lose the sound have you tried refreshing the page? We can find no audio issues at all when adjusting filters on our end. Are others having this problem?

So, are you saying that when in the library and setting any of the filters or sorts, the audio preview does not play?

Yes!

What about when you open the lesson itself? Does the audio play properly then?

No!

When you lose the sound have you tried refreshing the page?

Yes!

… well, it’s possible that there is a glitch in my installation of IE9. For instance, when I make any changes to my LingQ profile, the screen that follows tells me that “it appears that you are using an old version IE” (or something to that effect). I know that is NOT the case but… ???

Anyway, I will spend some time on this at my end to see what’s what. I will report anything I find (if I find anything).

BTW, I “reinstalled” Chrome and I am now able to use it with LingQ properly. Looks like IE9 “may” be the problem.

Thanks!

Murray

@LeWhetene - This issue is related to the problem in another thread in which files of a certain frequency are not playing properly in IE. They are playing properly in all other browsers. If the sort you choose happens to place a sound file at the top of the list that is not being played properly it doesn’t play. It is in fact, certain files not playing as opposed to the sort. Change the sort or click around on different lessons and some will work but the files that don’t work simply don’t play no matter which sort is chosen. At any rate, we are trying to resolve this issue.

Audio issues in IE should now be resolved as long as you have flash installed.