Are lesson translations available?

I’m quite new to Lingq, and have the persistent feeling that I’m missing things, that I’m doing it wrong. To be fair, I haven’t spent much time with it yet, but I’ve done a fair bit of French study in Lingvist & Duolingo, so I think this is my next platform…
Anyway, on some Youtube videos I saw a “translate” button, but I haven’t seen anything like that in any of the lessons I’ve done. Is the idea that one puts together the meaning oneself, purely, or am I missing something, or perhaps it’s only available on certain languages?
Thanks!

Hello! Here you can read the texts, and click on any unknown words. I haven’t seen a translate feature, but if you highlight over a phrase, and click “Add LingQ”, it often self-translates the text to a more meaningful translation than just a one-word selection would.

It’s not designed for translating texts, just more for interacting with words, word-by-word, and also phrases. For example, and I just Google searched this because I don’t know French, “entrer en vigueur”. Rather than thinking it from a literal perspective, you can linqQ it so that it highlights the phrase in its entirety. That’s great for those sentence starters, connectors, and idioms. Another example might be “de dernière minute.” (from the last minute; at the eleventh hour). Mostly though, LingQ is designed to support you as you read, from a word to word perspective. It gives you a lot of exposure to new words in print.

LingQ allows you to read real-life texts (use the “Import” feature heavily to read your news and ebooks; I’ve done all my reading through LingQ since discovering it, including books in my target language, and the day-to-day news articles from El Pais, BBC Mundo, and El Universal). I’ve also imported blog articles, so I can find blogs in other languages and now be able to enjoy them. You’re able to read this content in a way you wouldn’t on your own; the built-in dictionary makes reading an obtainable action.

I’ve also enjoyed their podcasts some, but they’re a bit basic for me at this point (but I wish I had had them when I was at an A2-B1-B2 level). As for the flashcards, a recent discussion agreed that most people let them stack up, that the benefit of having highlighted words was the real winner of LingQ, and to do the flashcards only if you feel motivated [don’t stress yourself out; I’ve got over a thousand words sitting in the “flashcard pile”, but it’s okay because every time I see it again in print it’s a review for me, and eventually, I see the word, think “I know this!”, and mark it as a 5.]

So, no “Translate” feature, but you’re translating yourself as you read word-for-word. And if a phrase confuses you, highlight the entire phrase, click LingQ. Then, if no translation pops up, click one of their dictionaries and do a search. It’s worked well so far, in my experience. Oh, and welcome!

The translate button will be at the top only if the lesson creator provided a translation of the reading. This is not the norm; it’s more common with beginner lessons (especially official LingQ-offered material), at the stage where people may appreciate the additional help. There might also be a “notes” button.

2 Likes

I’ve provided English translations for almost all my German beginner lessons.

Thanks everyone! I’ve got a little more experience under my belt, so I do see how it forces/supports you in your own translating. I didn’t know (but suspected) that it might be possible for a lesson creator to include a translation… I haven’t run into such a lesson yet. And, the idea of importing texts is interesting, I’d heard of the capability but hadn’t thought about how that makes reading less onerous (you don’t have to look up unknown words, just click on them, for example). Cool, and thanks for the insights.