Arabic on LingQ

I totally agree with you

If I saw that and didnā€™t know what it was I wouldnā€™t think it was writing.

I wold like to make Arabic my project for 2017. First of all I have to wait for our tech team to deal with a long list of issues they have in front of them. Then there are improvements to the site, some ideas on how to introduce handy references to grammar and other general steps to make LingQ even better.

But assuming we get through all of that, and can address the problem of a right to left script, my question is the following. How much content, high quality sound, interesting, natural, at all levels, perhaps representing Egyptian , Levantine, Gulf, etc. different kinds of Arabic can we expect to build up here at LingQ. Who is going to make it happen?

I can help Mr. Steve

Thank you. That is great. I have to wait for Mark and his team to get through the other tasks they have in front of them before we can address the specific needs of Arabic. Meanwhile members can continue to upload Arabic content to our Arabic library.

I know little about Arabic so I donā€™t know how different the different versions of Arabic are. But in any case, having a rich library will be essential. Personally I would want to be able to understand people from different parts of the Arabic world.

Heā€™s inspirational, I just wish I had half his energy to go out and talk to people

I am really looking forward to learning Arabic on LingQ!!!

My goals are Spanish and German on LingQ for 2017 to 2019.

Arabic, Chinese, Portuguese, and Japanese are tops on my list for 2020 and beyond.

Very niceā€¦it will be rewarding learn all these languages!

When itā€™s ready to be discussed it might be appropriate to support different dialects of arabic as different languages.

Teaching MSA and Colloquial Arabic

and one of the studies mentioned in the above The cognitive basis of diglossia in Arabic: Evidence from a repetition | PRBM

Given the limitations of lingqā€™s perennially unsearchable library, I think giving the different dialects their own slot might be the most practical solution. One problem is going to be the written representation of the dialects because there is no standardized system for representing it in writing.

This sort of things are better done off line. I am impressed by the rapid increase of learn Arabic material in my local library in the last two years. You may want to check out yours.

Population here is still a bit too small. I do have J. Elihayā€™s set on the way, I just hope it hasnā€™t gotten lost.

I have some Arabic Speaking friends. I honestly donā€™t know what dialect they speak but I can ask if they would be willing to help. The key is either finding or creating a variety of beginner to intermediate dialogues with good quality and make sure that Lessons are clearly marked as MSA, or Egyptian just so people arenā€™t confused as I was the first time I heard a different dialect unknowingly.

I know right! Also I like Moses McCormick AKA Laoshu505000. Moses, Benny, and Steve are the three YouTube polyglot masters in my opinion.

That is a good idea. I think it is annoying how programs like Rosetta Stone will tell you that Arabic is just one constant language and you can learn it in one package. It keeps you ignorant so youā€™ll think its all easy and simple.

Wow this is a useful thread!

Do you know if Farsi is coming?

I donā€™t know much about Arabic. Would it be difficult to integrate the text onto LingQ?

Whenever someone tells me they learned through Rosetta Stone, I chuckle. "So, I bet you can tell me useless phrases like ā€˜the cat is in the carā€™ " in German now?