Anyone else have problems finding speakers to practice with?

Yea…sometimes I wish I lived in New York…it would make things so much easier to actually talk to people since you can find a cohort, no matter how small, of people who can speak basically any common language. But I don’t, so I am trying to make the most out of what I have, which is basically online…

Have you looked on meetup.com for something in your area?

Didn’t see grey hair but detected a bit of white in the beard. Working now.

:smiley:

Removed the old fart from my friends list on Christmas Day. Had long wanted to do so.

I never found here any Chinese speakers to talk with.

“How does Steve and so many other people have so much luck finding people to speak to?”

That question I often ask myself.

We have a lot of tutors in Russian and that is the one language where I use our tutors right now, and at least one of them also speaks Ukrainian so I can also speak with her. One of our Russian speakers offers Polish so I may give him a try. Otherwise we seem to be in a chicken and egg situation. Tutors offer conversations, and few people sign up so the tutors stop offering conversations, so learners can’t find tutors. I am sure there are things we can do to improve how this all works, and it is something on our long list.

In the meantime, I would suggest going to the Exchange Home and searching for native speakers of the language your are learning. This can be done by choosing a country (for Chinese this would be Taiwan or China) from the drop list of countries. You could then approach some of our members and ask them to offer conversations.

I have used iTalki and in some languages have had success in finding interesting tutors.

Have you tried HelloTalk phone app? You can also use it to find people in your local area.

Cannot recommend this enough.

Pretty much every other group is more approachable than European French.

i have found as many idiotic spanish speakers as french speakers trust me in fact i found the worst in latin america than in spain

I have found 4 reliable conversation partners on the site MyLanguageExchange. However, as others have written here, you have to be patient when trawling such a site. Some people on the site have no idea what they want, and drop out very quickly when they realise that to speak with someone over the longer term requires commitment and at least some personal chemistry/friendship. Some people obviously use these sites as dating sites. I must have processed 50 people to find my 4. Of course, the search process was working both ways, i.e. many of those would have thought, ‘Who the heck is this?’ about me. However, MyLanguageExchage has pretty sensible search filters, through which you can try to weed out obvious non-runners, e.g. people 120 years younger than you, etc. Of my 4, 3 have been my friends for 2 years or so, the other nearly 2 years, and their help has been revolutionary for me. Good luck!

that he worst site i’ve seen unless you want to subscribe and pay for a membership they are better free alternatives,you can’t contact anyone directly unless your a full member and they cannot contact you unless they are one ,ifsomeone likes your profile and they are a member they can contact you directly and then you can get 1 free email message to send to them bs

hello ktj2000

Like I said in my previously post I’m using interpals but you have to be very patient with people. Problem it’s found someone really avalaible for you everydays for giving you tips or explained to you things you don’t get it. Because of this languages I already know I had to improuve myself otherwise you finished by forget. Some will be very friendly and suddently you doesn’t know why they disapearing. I’m learning Greek since 5 months now and let me told you somethings nobody is there … I’m in touch with a girl from Greece we writting only in English at moment it’s been 28 days she’s not onlne lol other one I know I meet her in games from Greece since few months she’s not came anymore on skype “strange” … If you are really hurry to speak language you are learning my adviced and download teamspeak check on google. This free software made for speaking with microphone during games all you have to do just changed flags looking for public server and connected it’s little bit ankward because people will ask "who are you ? " etc but if you are very friendly and honnest explained in general they are friendly.This what I do with danish has three years ago.

I recommend two sites:
https://www.hellolingo.com/
https://sharedlingo.com/
I used them and there are a lot of people.

There is also a language exchange on this page - I did’t try it yet (page is always asking me to change the timezone…). The problem with lingq site is that there are still a lot of bugs after migration to the new interface and sometimes it is slow (at least here in Poland). I hope these problems will be fixed soon.
If any lingq developers read this post they should check features from these pages and try to implement them on this page. For example it would be great to have a live text chat and rooms for different languages.

hi prince how is it going?