An idea for content providers

Most of our reading and listening is needs to be interesting and meaningful. However, I also think there is a place at LingQ for reference type content that that focuses on specific grammar patterns. These could of different types.

A) Reference resources. (These can usually be found using google)

1. Conjugation tables…recorded
  2. Declension tables…recorded
    etc.

B. Examples

Simple stories, paragraphs or sentences that focus on specific patterns, grammar issues, the use of connecting words etc.

Of course if these are interesting, that is better. However, even somewhat boring content of this nature can be a useful reference for learners.

What do you think? I know I would use such resources from time to time.

I created two of those “simple patterns” lessons when you suggested we write them in the past, but I eventually got bored and stopped writing them.

What about part a? Should I record the plain conjugation of Italian verbs as they are found in a grammar? I could do it, but it would be even more boring than the simple patterns… :slight_smile:

I cannot speak for Italian since I am not studying it, but I would use these for Czech, although they are boring, for sure. I would also use them for Russian, just as refreshers. What do others think?

It might be more interesting if they (tables) were put in a dialogue and then put in bold, as context is what helps me remember, but that’s just me. We teach beginners that 3rd person singular (he, she, and it) verbs take an ‘s’. If we are lucky they may remember and use them by the time they get to be advanced, no matter how many tables they study.

If they are common verbs they’ll keep appearing in texts anyway. I like ‘discovering’ new words and then realising they are just a different form of a word I know.

They could however be attached to a lesson as notes or exercises (I’ve done this at beginner 1 level)

In my opinion conjugation tables with audio would be a very good idea for languages like French. I would definitely use them, I have thought about that before and I would even buy them if they were sold. Not so interesting for Italian because you can just take the tables and read them aloud by yourself, at least that’s what I do and it is not boring at all if you do it for 2-3 minutes here and there with verbs you know you have problems…

Of course I agree with you pinkdaisy. That is the core concept at LingQ. We learn best from interesting and meaningful content. And sometimes, as in the case of the third person singular in English, the concept is easy to understand and for some people impossible to implement.

However, there are many things that help us to notice the language, and to eventually develop new habits. Looking at conjugation and declension tables, or looking at explanations, or reviewing examples, all have some impact. I would not spend a lot of time on such things. I would spend most of my time with meaningful content.

However, when washing the dishes, or sitting in the case, I would occasionally listen to tables, patterns, and phrases, unconnected to any context. I think this might help me notice things when I am listening to or reading meaningful content.

But I am not sure that this useful, and I would like to hear from others.

I’d like to try to study the same content with differnt time frames or persons.
I think that a lesson with a dialogue would fit better this kind of material.

If the space for the “Dica” in the cards was bigger, students could put there not only the meaning of the form, but some little notes about any aspect they find useful to associate with it. For example, which is the stressed syllabe; or what is the verb it is attached of, if the form is from an irregular verb; or some synonimes and contraires, comments about the typical use of it, things like these ones. Little bits of grammar information, in morphological rich languages could also be added (things live accusative 2nd declension; not to confond with X; etc.)