Amazon.it 40% discount ON ALL BOOKS

Well, thanks to yet another revolting bill coming from our equally disgusting parliament**, Amazon.it will not be able to sell books at competitive prices starting from september 1st, 2011*. Therefore the people at Amazon.it decided to give a final, brutal blow: they are selling all books written in Italian in their catalogue at a discount of 40% or more till the end of August. 40%! If I hadn’t a pile of books to read already, I would buy a ship container of them right now! Don’t lose this splendid opportunity.

Details on the 40% discount Libri in italiano: narrativa, romanzi, attualità, libri per ragazzi, twilight saga, Harry Potter e tanto altro ancora : Amazon.it
www.amazon.it

• In a country where per capita reading time is constantly decreasing (and it’s among the lowest in the EU), this is the last nail in the coffin. Now that Amazon.it, which shook the sleepy italian editorial market a bit, is not allowed to sell books at good prices, who is going to read anymore? Me and, who else?

** Actually the palace of parliament is rather beautiful, it’s the people in it that I would throw under a high speed train.

Thanks for the info Adalberto. Here in Spain the prizes of the books are decided beforehand, and there is not real competition among book sellers. If you want to buy a book, you’ll normally find it everywhere at the same prize. This is why books in US for example are much cheaper.

@OscarP: Same for Germany. Only older books and Second hand books can be sold cheaper.

Here in Brasil, we have the same situation, Veral. To buy a book, only second hand books are avaliable with a reasonable prices. We called these stores “sebo” here.

Nice discount, although I’m not really interested in Italian books :-). Here in Holland we have the same system as in (according to this page) a lot of other countries. The competition is much more about which store has the biggest collection of books and (in e-commerce) the lowest shipping costs. A lot of stores sell books to draw people and sell other stuff like reading lamps and office supplies to make a profit.

It’s interesting to hear that.

Crazy is, that the fixed book price for eBooks is about the same as the price for a printed book.

More funny is, that the publishers wonder why eBooks in Germany don’t have the same success as in the US and other states. I can resell a published book. If I buy it for 25 Euros, I can probably resell it for 17 or 18 Euros or 15 Euros. So I pay 10 Euros for reading it. Or I buy the Second hand book vor 15 Euros (and can resell it!) I cannot do this with an eBook, and the same book as an eBook would cost about 20 Euros or more.

Ray Bradbury: “I don’t like ebooks. They smell like burned oil”

• the file format changes every few years, no interoperability at all
  • they have made it so that they are not cheaper than normal books
  • the overwhelming majority of books is still not available as ebooks

Gosh, they told us ebooks were a revolution. I know people who have an ebook reader. And millennial dust will eventually settle on them.

I was discussing this with my wife and daughter in law this evening. We all find ebooks tremendously convenient and read them more and more. I wonder, in 20 years, who will be reading paper books.

Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned, but I like paper books, not least because you can put them in an ever enlarging physical library and make people go “wow!” when they come home. We’ll see how ebooks will evolve, I hope they solve the issues I pointed out in my previous post with plus signs.

While book prices are initially fixed, in the UK we have offers of “three for the price of two” etc; we have bookends shops, the bookshops have sales, etc. For many books, we only have to pay the full price if we chose to do so.

I was given a Kindle for my birthday, I think it is wonderful. I now have books in five languages on it. Am still looking for Swedish content…

My fingers, however, still want to turn pages and I absolutely love the feel of a book in my hands. I cannot imagine a time when people would not want to have books in their home.

I think that ‘normal’ books will eventually disappear, just like the news papers will.

Why? Because of the environment.
After September 2012, no incandescent light bulb is allowed to be produced in the European Union. We will just have to buy energy-efficient lamps.
I think it’s just a matter of time before ‘paper’ books are banned, it won’t be 2015, rather 2030 (if the EU still exists), but it’ll happen.

Why would you suppose that electronic books are more environmentally sound than paper books? I suspect that paper books are more environmentally sound. Electronic books are convenient, and for some people, agreeable to use.

I do not foresee any government banning paper books.

@steve - Paper books use a lot of paper and ink, e-readers use electricity which can be generated in a ‘clean’ way, for instance using solar panels. But maybe they’ll come up with an environmental substitute for paper.

Paper, and the forest industry generally, uses 100 percent renewable resources. I do not yet see energy being any more than 5% renewable in the near future, not to speak of the materials that go into the e-book readers.

Steve,

Of course the paper industry is 100% renewable, except for the machinery to manage the trees, cut, process and transport the wood and convert the wood into paper. These machines run on fuels, like most of our Western economies. BTW, since you do not expect a significant contribution from renewables in the near future (which I don’t expect either) it is kind of hard to understand why you dismiss concerns for peak oil.

Another thought: Many reader devices are multi purpose devices that people have anyway so the material expense per ebook is rather low I think.

I have a slight feeling this thread is going to become another rhetorical battlefield…anyway, no matter my pile of books to read, I’m going to buy the entire bibliography of Tiziano Terzani (an italian foreign correspondent who wrote about Asia tons of pages, he was in Cambodia and Vietnam during the wars and is clearly in love with the continent, I think his style is exceptional)

Well, when it comes to bringing books with you (while communting, travelling, …), ebooks have no competitors.

I agree Adalberto, so I am withdrawing.

Terzani was a regular contributor for “Der Spiegel”, a German magazine, and his articles were a pleasure to read.

@ Friedemann

Oh I just can’t wait to click the buy button on Amazon! I was introduced to the works of Terzani by my father, who read “In Asia”. I read its chapters on Japan and found them amazing, not least for his acuity of description.

At any rate, much of Terzani’s work has been recorded into audiobooks (not by Il Narratore s.r.l, but by Salani), so if anyone of you is learning Italian, or wants to learn it through the masterpieces of this great man, it might be a good idea to consider buying them.

All his audiobooks: Amazon.it : tiziano terzani audiolibro (the 40% discount applies on them too)