Amateur linguist loses control of the language he invented

“Quijada’s invented language has two seemingly incompatible ambitions: to be maximally precise but also maximally concise.”

"Ideas that could be expressed only as a clunky circumlocution in English can be collapsed into a single word in Ithkuil. A sentence like “On the contrary, I think it may turn out that this rugged mountain range trails off at some point” becomes simply “Tram-mļöi hhâsmařpţuktôx.”

Read more: Utopian for Beginners | The New Yorker

Great article, thanks for the link.

Yes, I remember reading about Iţkuîl and John Quijada a few years ago, not quite sure how I stumbled across it. I am fascinated by the theoretical grounding of the language, and have browsed through the grammar once in a while.

I didn’t have “all possible information about it saved” : ) but I have continued to keep tabs on its development since I first knew about it, reading most of the interviews, and watching most of the lectures I could find online.

Yes, thanks, Jeremy, for the link. V. interesting article.

maths, you may find this related site interesting: http://www.computerra.ru/ , which was mentioned in the article.

@Imyirtseshem - Yes, its undoubtedly a monster of a language to attempt. I’ve read into some of the grammatical features he uses and always learn something new and amazing from that, but I’m certain I could never make a serious attempt to learn Iţkuîl itself. Yes, my nerdometer is in double digits at the moment.
( I just try to spell-check “nerdometer” : / )

@Ernie - Thanks : )

I’d like to learn Iţkuîl, if only to prove that one can spout incredibly concise and specific b.s. in any language.

Precisely :slight_smile: