Am I missing out some important aspects of learning other language?

Ah, but you did not ask me about Hawaii! :slight_smile:

Yukiko-

I am still thinking about your question and, in some ways, struggling to understand what you mean by “everyday life.” I gave you my view of levels of everyday life in cities in developed countries. I pointed out subcultures within the U.S. which differ in their approach to life. In answer to your question, I described everyday life as I experience it in the Czech Republic. I also commented on Murakami’s extremely detailed descriptions of what he seems to consider everyday life in contemporary Tokyo.

What I have been hoping to hear from you:

1. Do any of these descriptions approach what you meant in your initial question by “everyday life”?
  2. How would you describe the everyday life of the Japan you live in today? What do you like about it?
  3. Can you recommend a contemporary Japanese novel which describes everyday life in Japan accurately and which has been translated into English?
  1. Do any of these descriptions approach what you meant in your initial question by “everyday life”?

Yes! :slight_smile:

And I also should have said “ personal interests ( hobbies, festivals, and so on)”.

I don’t study English for specific purposes and interests. I was just wondering if not having these would keep me from getting to a higher level of the language proficiency.

1. How would you describe the everyday life of the Japan you live in today? What do you like about it?

It is pretty much the same as everyday life in any other developed countries. Everybody is busy juggling with work and family. However,there is at least one thing that differs from U.K., U.S. or some other countries: Japan puts emphasis on confirmty. Foreigners make up only 1 % of the population. People try to go with the crowd in sacrifice of individualism. I like and dislike this social aspects of my country.

1. Can you recommend a contemporary Japanese novel which describes everyday life in Japan accurately and which has been translated into English?

I haven’t read Japanese novels for a long time because I have been busy studying English, but I have heard that a novel titled “ The briefcase” by Hiromi Kawakami is a good one. Amazon.com

Thank you so much for answering my question throughly, Kitty. I know that some of the points I have tried to make may not be still unclear to you. To be honest, I am little getting confused by my own question too! Maybe I should simply check movies or TV shows that interest me when I am on holidays. That is a good way to learn the culture and people’s lives outside of Japan, isn’t it?

“Do you think that I am missing out on some important aspects of learning other language?”

Not at all. The opposite, in fact.

If you were to focus on US content (as an example, only) you would be much more limited and miss out on much more.

Paradoxically, just by engaging with both local and world news you are probably way ahead of most of the English speaking world when it comes to understanding world cultures.

That is, many (many, many) English speakers will mainly derive their information from local news, or, “international” news that is commercially tilted to their tastes.

I learn in a similar way to you.

The majority (90%+) of the content I use is from local (Australian) current affairs / talk shows etc, but in the language I am learning. Regardless, I actually feel I learn more about other cultures, including the target language culture, than if I was to just focus on sources from countries that speak that language (only).

Moreover, I also feel that I learn more about my own culture by seeing how it is viewed by recent immigrants or people living overseas.

Yukiko
Thank you for your answer! Now I begin to understand what you are asking…at least I think so. You want to go to the next level of proficiency in English and just listening and reading world news in English is not helping. (Correct?)

In my opinion, listening to or watching the news will not increase your vocabulary or understanding beyond a certain point. News stories these days seem just one step above “tweeting.” One or two thoughts, very limited vocabulary, constant repetition of the same themes. Even reading about your own country in a different language gets predictable and tiresome.

Reading novels, histories, or biographies is what will really take you to the next level. In Prague, we have an international women’s club with 40 countries represented. One of our small “interest” groups is a book club. Every October, we each recommend books for the group to read and discuss the following year. All are in English, since that is the language of the club, but many of the books are translated. (Some members read them in both languages, and can tell us how well they are translated.) Here are some titles to get you inspired:

In January we read “Cleopatra: A Life” by Stacy Schiff recommended by our Hungarian member. This month I will be leading the discussion of “Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA” by Brenda Maddox, an excellent, highly readable biography of this brilliant scientist. Our Mongolian member led the discussion of Jiang Rong’s “Wolf Totem,” an absolutely fascinating story set in Mongolia, originally written in Chinese, and based on the author’s experiences.

For history, have we read Madeline Albright’s memoir “Prague Winter” and Marie Duenas’ “The Seamstress,” set during the Spanish Civil War.

For a contemporary account of life in an Indian slum near the Mumbai airport, we read “Behind the Beautiful Forevers” by Katharine Boo. It has been made into a play which is being broadcast live from London into theatres around the world in March. (See http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/ for info about theatres near you in Japan.)

For fun we read Jonas Jonasson’s “The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared,” translated from Swedish. This has been made into a very funny Swedish film, now subtitled for many different countries.

Meanwhile, if you have not heard of the TED talks (TED=Technology, Education, Design https://www.ted.com/ ) you are really missing out on a global treasure. There are now almost 2,000 talks, all 18 minutes or less. The speakers are from around the world. The talks are in English, but thanks to their Open Translation project, almost 20,000 volunteers have produced nearly 70,000 transcripts in 107 different languages. This is a fabulous, fascinating site. With a good talk, a good English transcript synchronized with the sound, you’re just about guaranteed to move to the next level in English, and you can use the Japanese transcript to check your understanding, if needed. See what you think!

Give me some “feedback” on these suggestions. Is this the kind of advice and are these the kinds of materials you’re looking for?

Thank you so much for your recommendation of “The Briefcase.” I’ll see whether I can get it. Maybe we’ll even end up discussing it in the club next year

You want to go to the next level of proficiency in English and just listening and reading world news in English is not helping. (Correct?)

Listening and reading world news in English has helped me improved my English a lot, but I feel that I should try different contents.

Your book club sounds wonderful. I imagine that a great part of being a member is to get a chance to read books you wouldn’t choose otherwise!

Yes, I have watched some TED videos. I should look for some more from LingQ library too. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your suggestions, Kitty!

That is, many (many, many) English speakers will mainly derive their information from local news, or, “international” news that is commercially tilted to their tastes.

Yes, Japanese media does the same thing!

I also feel that I learn more about my own culture by seeing how it is viewed by recent immigrants or people living overseas.

I am happy to know that you have learned and felt in a similar way when you are learning your target language! Your comments have encouraged me so much. Thank you!!