Am I messing things up for other users if I use a custom language in an existing language slot?

I’ve currently loaded some private lessons for Irish into my English slot. While it’s a pain to do it this way (wish there was a custom language slot) I’m happy to make my own definitions. I plan on making thousands of “Irish” lingQs in my English slot so is there a way to make all my LingQ definitions private?

2 Likes

Whatever the outcome is, I would love to use LingQ to learn Irish, so I hope it can at least get to Beta some day.

2 Likes

Sometimes when using LingQ for Russian I see definitions that are either really wrong or are literally the same word that I am trying to find a definition for! But in that case I just find a new definition. I don’t see why it would mess anything up for others. You’re very dedicated to spend so much time on manually looking up definitions. I think some users might even appreciate that!

1 Like

Actually I think this would cause ALOT of confusion for some language learners.

If someone was putting Chinese definitions for Kanji in my Japanese lessons it would be horribly confusing.

If you are willing to go through all of this work consider speaking to Mark, maybe you can volunteer to work on an irish module.

It depends on how many Irish words have the same spelling as in English but with other meaning. In a normal English text nobody will see any Irish word. That’s why I consider it relatively safe to use the English slot for Irish.

1 Like