Alexander Arguelles - New Polyglot School

I see from Prof Arguelles’ latest Youtube video that he is looking for polyglots to help him build up a new language training school where people can learn self-study techniques. The website is:

http://www.piflss.com/

(I wish him well, but I really can’t see this idea being profitable in the eye of a global downturn! I reckon he should start an academy teaching English as a second language, and then use some of the profits from this to support the other idea…)

wow… what can I say? just wow

I suggested to him years ago that he should perhaps try to set up his Institute online first and conduct all the seminars and practical classes via the Internet (using online forums, Skype etc), but he said it wouldn’t be that effective. It’s a pity, since I really wish him well and would love to participate in his project, but I’m not that sure if he manages to set it up in the real world…

The thing is, Customic, if Prof Arguelles started a language academy teaching classroom courses in advanced English, then that really could be very profitable. And he could then use this operation as a subsidy for the other things that he wants to do - classes in “polyglottery”, language acquisition skills, etc.

He needs to keep his shoes on the ground and have a real-world focus, IMO.

Then write to him, JayB. Maybe you’ll have more luck than me :wink: Besides, he appreciates any kind of feedback, I guess. That’s also why he has set up his new website.

I like this idea very much and I have to admit that I would prefer a brick-and-mortar version to an online version if that project were ever to become alive. Of course, there are valid arguments for trying to start out with an online version (as customic pointed out) but at the end of the day I find a place in the “real world” where people actually meet in person a much more attractive idea.

ad JayB: (…) I wish him well, but I really can’t see this idea being profitable in the eye of a global downturn! (…)

First of all, it only needs to be profitable enough to make this project work - it does not have to generate enough “income” to pay out insane premiums to some managers. Secondly, the idea behind it is so much more than just a project aiming at profitability. I do know of course that the best and most altruistic ideas need some “real money” to finance them but I don’t think that focusing on English is equivalent to a “real-world” focus.

There are countless language schools out there where people are taught English as a foreign language. And as far as I know Prof. Arguelles has already been teaching English to foreigners, so this might not really be where his major interest lies for the time being.

In Austria we have a private language school that offers a “special training” in four languages over a period of two years. I can’t say anything about the actual success rate of the students attending these courses, but I know that these rather expensive courses are very popular and people send their children there or attend these courses themselves. These are full-time courses with 8 hours a day, five days a week. So, obviously, there is a market for multi-language courses and I would not want the Prof. to just come up with another school for English as a foreign language, we already got trillions of them all over the planet :wink: Of course, if his intentions were purely on the monetary side, he may be better off starting yet another one of those schools but I am quite sure his “dream” goes far beyond that.

And, sometimes, dreams do come true :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, I think, I didn’t get that, but where would that institute be? In the US?

@Fingerhut
I believe he would like it to be in Europe - but I’m not 100% sure.

@Robert: “…it only needs to be profitable enough to make this project work - it does not have to generate enough “income” to pay out insane premiums to some managers.”

Hmm…if I were the manager of that academy, he’d sure have to pay out one BIG premium! :smiley:

Seriously though, if he were doing this full time he would have to make enough profit to support himself and his family, wouldn’t he?

(Unless he is already financially made, I guess. I don’t know what his status is in this regard?)

ad JayB: (…) Seriously though, if he were doing this full time he would have to make enough profit to support himself and his family, wouldn’t he? (…)

Of course, I totally agree with you. And he also would have to make enough profit to somehow compensate the people who teach there. But that’s what any enterprise has to do and I don’t see how the idea of his institute would be less attractive to possible investors and/or collaborators than the idea of a traditional English language school.

I might be biased though since I find this idea truly intriguing. Maybe he could also get some public funding (the EU for example finances quite a lot of language programmes). I do hope he already got into contact with some people who have a sound business background as well since he certainly will need that kind of support just as much as support from other polyglots.

Yes, I believe he mentioned once it could be situated in Europe.

Robert, would you be interested in supporting this project? You’re a polyglot and you speak your languages really well. You are based in Europe. Having practical classes with you would be a pleasure :slight_smile: If you think you could take part in this, send a message to prof. Arguelles via his new website.

My dream-team of language instructors: Richard Simcott, Robert, Luca… I wouldn’t even want to leave the classroom :smiley:

Yes, my line-up would be: Prof Arguelles, Richard, Luca, Robert (and Christophe Clugston for site security and to punish slackers!)

That would be one very interesting academy! :smiley:

I forgot to include prof. Arguelles on my list, but I thought it was obvious :wink:

Clugston would be too busy complaining about being surrounded by “linguaphiles” to do any real security work

@Odiernod
@Vonk

Y’know guys, the more I think about it, the more I can see Mr Clugston taking to this job just like a duck to water!

If there were any intruders or trouble makers, you could just call him in and say: “hey Christophe, would you just explain to these dudes why Noam Chomsky is a better linguist than Steve Kaufmann?”

He would pretty much bore them to death! :-[]

Content edited

Institutional ployglottery… Methinks this will not work in any sort objective way. Most polyglots I have heard of are sort of ambivalent to the classroom.

Yeah, but they’ve probably had the worst teachers… I’m no fan of the classroom either but definitely think that someone like Prof. Arguelles could teach a trick or two.

Content edited

@dooo

If the classroom is not the correct place for this struggle, then perhaps the Professor needs to take things right onto the streets?

Maybe he should form a kind of polyglot militia? (Perhaps with Mr Clugston as proxy leader…?)

But then again - perhaps not :smiley:

Lmy… strawman… they are easier to see when you are thinking objectively…

Jay… ditto

Jeff, I guess you could assume that. But I think that polyglottery is like stamp collection… a kind of eccentricity is required which does not mesh with the social fabric that is the raison d’etre for any sort of classroom.