Adding a new language on LingQ

Hello there, I just joined today and I want to tell you that your site is really great,
I have been studying German for a few weeks and had trouble finding simple texts,
which I found a lot of here.
So, I would like to thank the founder\s of LingQ and the contributers for helping me so much. thank you
My native language is Hebrew, and I would be glad to help anyone that wants to learn it. But i noticed this doesn’t hold an Hebrew section… so is there a way to add one, or maybe it isn’t popular enough?
Either way great site.
Thanks in advence

P.S: I’m sorry if my English is not all that good, I guess im practicing my English too…

Welcome Danny! I am quite new to LingQ too. Your question is very interesting. I know Korean was launched some days ago after no language had been added for a long time. Actually, I don’t know why it isn’t possible to open new sections if there are members willing to provide content (as it is the case for Czech too). I would love it if more languages were added soon.

Michele

P.S. I think your English is very correct.

Welcome, Danny. I’m glad you like the site. We have had some great beginner content provided by our members in German.

We are unlikely to add Hebrew any time soon although we would love to have it someday. As mikebond says, we just added Korean after not adding another language in well over a year. We are going to see how that progresses before trying to introduce other languages.

@mark “we just added Korean after not adding another language in well over a year.”

I hope this doesn’t mean that we won’t see Arabic on LingQ for at least a year… :frowning:

@Aineko - Sorry to disappoint you but I wouldn’t be holding my breath for Arabic. We would like to have it, too, one day but Arabic has its own unique challenges that we are unlikely to have time for anytime soon. I just don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info, Mark. (btw, if you are wondering would the platform work for right to left scripts, yes it works :). I imported couple of Arabic texts in another language slot and it worked just fine, even the dictionaries weren’t too confused).

Maybe this is a good topic to ask this (I just had this idea, it’s not at all thought through, but here it is :slight_smile: ): since there are so many people asking for new languages and also people who are ready to teach them, have lingq team ever thought about the possibility of adding one ‘empty’ language slot, something that would be called ‘other’, for example? People could use this slot to import their texts for non-supported languages and to have conversations and writings corrections… So, for example, if someone is learning Hebrew and somebody else wants to teach Hebrew, the tutor could put up conversation times in this ‘other’ slot, with a note ‘Hebrew’. I’m not sure I’m making myself clear :D, basically the advantage of this would be that lingq would open itself to the tutors (and consequently the students) of many more languages, apart from the officially supported ones, but in a way that people would still be able to earn and spend their points using these languages (as opposed to the situations as it is now where for the non-supported languages people can only organize a language exchange that does not ‘officially’ go through the lingq points system).

Interesting to hear that Arabic works fine… We’ll factor that in to our deliberations.

We have talked about having an empty “slot” before but we have felt there will be issues with people learning all kinds of languages in the same spot and perhaps sharing content and making a bit of a jumble. And, the fact is, we will get people complaining to us about problems or difficulties they encounter there. Most people won’t be aware or interested that their language is not fully supported. We would rather be a little more deliberate in adding languages. Having said that, we are using Korean as a bit of an experiment to see how much organic content materializes without us having to get involved.

We will see… I don’t see an empty slot but I can see a variety of unsupported languages added gradually…

yeah, I guess it always comes down to how much would people actually understand that ‘empty slot’ is there for them to make something out of it and not to expect the same things they see for supported languages…

anyway, thanks and good luck, I hope to see more languages soon :).

I’m sorry, I just think it’s too bad that by adopting this attitude you are actually denying information and stopping information flow,
and the reason don’t seem very convincing.
Why not give the users a chance to add information on different languages? No need for support or the point system, just a mean to transfer information. Moreover, it seems odd to me to reject an idea without even trying it.
Let the communty itself grow an information reserve. Even 5 native speakers of a language can contribute a lot by adding texts in that language.

danny,

It is our belief that we are better to build up each language properly. We have considered the blank slot idea and do not favour it? Would it just have a mixture of language content in a big library? How wouldour search functions work? What would people do who have invested time in a language in the “blank slot” when that language opens as a separate language at LingQ? They will all complain about losing their saved LingQs and content items. What is the rush?

We want to see how Korean develops. We are slowly getting more content, some of it excellent. I am confident it will work out, and then we can add another language.

With every language there are complaints, about the dictionary, about the way words are split in Asian languages, about split verbs in German, about inconsistencies in the audio and text, etc. We have to respond and often correct texts. People want different dictionaries. We need tutors. This is all work. We have to consider how many paying members will be generated in each new language to justify this work, or for that matter in the empty slot.

So you are free to share information with anyone you want, but we prefer to control the growth and development of LingQ based on our experience.

Do you really think people would complain about content in an empy slot? They will probebly understand that you can’t complain on something that is not supported. All I’m asking for is a platform to share information- no need for points or what not. I’m sure a lot of people will agree with me since the main objective of this site’s users is to learn a language, not to earn points.
In conclusion I don’t think a dictionary and a point system is all that importent. Of course you can’t treat the empty slot like a normal slot- You would have to turn off dictionary for example. But the fact that people would find simple texts in their target languages is enough- be it in a forum or a slot or another type of database.
If and when a language justifies an upgrade to a regular slot then I believe the same members who contributed in the empty slot will also copy-paste their texts to the regular slot. You can also think of an empty slot as a test to see what languages are popular and have the potential of becoming a regular language. I think that the fact it took a year to add Korean shows that the current method is not very effective.

"In conclusion "

Promise?

Sorry, didnt understand your last reply

Can LingQ add slots for languages that people desire, even if there isn’t much initial content? I just joined and I’m not sure what the reasoning is…is it that the new slots wouldn’t have beginner content?

I tend to find learning the beginner level of a language is not to difficult because resources abound. But it’s the intermediate level where resources dwindle, esp. if you can’t immerse.

The content I’ve found here has been great for my intermediate german. specifically- the opportunity to listen to a naturally spoken podcast-style audio while reading a transcription.

I’m having a lot of trouble finding this type of content in Thai. I would really love to find some decent length podcasts in thai that have been transcribed. I’ve actually considered using mechanical turk to achieve this (i.e. pay for transcriptions.)

rather than offering an open-slot for any ‘other’ languages, why not offer languages with just a little starter content and let users fill the rest?

brookdel,

It has been our experience that everything takes time, more time than we project. We have a full list of things to do. We will be adding languages but at our pace.

We also have to think about how much adding new lessons will increase our core of paying members, since increasing that base has to be our first priority. We do not have a lot of people studying some of our less popular languages as it is. I have no idea who many people would study Thai, and become paying members to do so.

It seems that one of the reasons for not adding more languages are the user complaints when a new language is introduced…

It also seems the decision of not adding new languages comes with it, its own consistent stream of complaints…