Add words in dictionaries and correct them

Could we add some new words or translations in the dictionary?

I’d like also ask could we correct any wrong translations in the dictionary into our native language?
Thank you

The words that show up on the blue popups are the most popular user hints. All the LingQs that you save help to add more user hints to each term.

At the moment there is no way to correct wrong hints, but something like this may be possible in the not-too-distant future :slight_smile:

Alex, thank you for your answer.

At the moment there is no way to correct wrong hints, but something like this may be possible in the not-too-distant future :slight_smile:

I think a button meaning “Wrong translation” will be very good.

I will be good also to add in the dictionary a possibility “combination of words” translation.
For example, the combination of words “San Francisco” is divided into two different words “San” and “Francisco”.
In the Russian dictionary the word “Francisco” is translated as “Francisco” and the word “San” is translated as awfully as “Net for data storage”!

I often come across wrong or inaccurate hints for Dutch. Actually, most of the time, it’s not even English that I find in the hints, even though they should be (for me at least). When I find a word which can mean several things, I separate them either with a ; (for those which are the same class of word) or | for one different ones (say a past tense of a verb and an adjective).

To me, the system is potentially all it needs to be. If a translation is good, then it will be used often. I have a few times added a LingQ instantly when I see it has 10+ other people using that. Most of the time, there are less than 2 and usually none at all. The trouble is that many don’t put much effort into their lingqing, which is a shame. Like painting a room, using LingQ effectively is about putting in good preparation. If you look up your words well, edit them when you need to and then add in a good definition, you help yourself and others on the site.

@Alex_gur - You can just highlight two or more words and then you will get a translation for them together.

@lmyirteshem - We are looking at some way of enabling users to flag hints in the wrong languages and improving the way hints are handled but you’re right, we think the good hints should work their way to the top.

@Alex_gur - You can just highlight two or more words and then you will get a translation for them together.

Yes, Mark, I have seen it. But these words was shown separately, when the text was opened.

And really in our dictionary there are many translations in wrong languages. It will be good to check it.

Yes, we only highlight individual words initially, however, if you hover on a blue word, you can see suggested phrases at the bottom which shows you any multi-word terms or phrases in the database you may also want to LingQ. As for the dictionaries, we have already explained that we are planning some ways of editing there.

OK