ACTUALLY OR IN FACT OR INDEED?

NATIVE SPEAKERS, CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE, WHEN I CAN USE EACH ?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDEED!!

Hi,

Actually and in fact are sometimes used interchangeably, although actually is used much more ( about 30% more according to netspeak).
They are used to emphasise and sometimes used to show surprise: He has actually/in fact done his homework.

Indeed is also used to emphasise -but often something you have already said: He is a good worker. Indeed, I would hire him again. Or: He is a very good worker indeed. If I used actually in the last sentence it would suggest that I was surprised that he was a good worker.

If you want further examples, I would recommend the macmillan dictionary which provides very good examples of each word in a number of sentences. You will find 2 or 3 different usages for each of the words.

Thank you for making me use my brain this morning.

To add to pinkdaisy’s response. They can also be used in a different manner…Actually and “in fact” to express disagreement or a contrary view. Person 1: Harry is a very engergetic person. Person 2: Actually, (or “in fact”) I usually see him sleeping throughout the day.

Indeed can be used to express agreement. Person 1: Harry is a very helpful person. Person 2: Indeed! I saw him helping an old lady across the street.

1 Like