Active and passive vocabulary - saving LingQ's - Question to Mark too

The different between active and passive is great in my case.

I would like know what others are doing when they are working with a content and they have a word, they know it during reading or listening but they know exactly that isn’t in her active vocabulary.

Should I save this too?

Mark, will we have one day the possibility to review in the other direction?

Irene,

I do not know what you mean by reviewing in the other direction. Do you mean in the Flash Cards. There you can review in the other direction, in Reverse order.

What I recommend is that you save phrases even when you know the words. Then type in (or use google translate) to fill in the meaning (Hint) in your native language. Then review these phrases in Flash Cards in the reverse order, i.e. from your native language. Then you will have to come up with the whole phrase in the target language.

Irene, you can review in the other direction. It is a new option named “Reverse” on the flashcard site.

I often save words as LingQ when they are in my passive vocabulary but not in my active vocabulary.

Also I have some important words that never stay with me (for example some of them are false friends). For those I created a special tag to review them sometimes.

But I think it is normal that the difference between active and passive vocabulary is great and it doesn’t matter. The more often you read a word or listen to the word, the better the word stays with you.

I agree with Vera that the Active/Passive vocabulary ratio is not so important. It is quite normal, and it is always more important to understand than to be able to say exactly what we want.

I think the Reveres flash cards, which many people asked for, can help. Writing can help. I do recommend saving phrases and doing them in reverse order, because when we get the phrases wrong (wrong word order, or wrong words) people notice. When we are missing an “active” word, people do not notice. So phrasing can be more important than having a large active vocabulary.

Thanks Steve and Vera, I have not known and used the “reverse” - a new thing I have learned now.
It is good to ask (I thought I am an old bird here :slight_smile:

Irene,

Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of functions at LingQ that many users are not aware of. We should try to do something about this.

Steve - I am really happy to have shuffle and reverse! Great functionality.
Thanks again.