Accredited Courses?

I’m not smart enough! :smiley:

@ Davidjvl
Not really. Some people have a personality that is greatly limiting. Somehow learning a language is not like studying a science subject. They don’t get it. They might be very eager to learn, modest enough to ask for tips and advice from every efficient learner they can meet; but ultimately they are very jaded one way or another, won’t actually try out any of the suggested new ways of doing things but continue to work hard and sigh (not going anywhere). There are also other types … Many interesting stories I won’t tell here.

There is much in what you say. That is why we are staying the course with LingQ 4.0. Already we are seeing almost 3 times as many LingQs created by the whole community per day, and people using 4.0 outnumber classic users 8 to 1.

Re your points.

1. In 4.0 new users will get more guidance in course selection once all the elements are there. There will also be feeds to follow the lessons studied by people you want to follow and eventually feeds from your favourite online content sources. But give us time to roll all of this out.
  2. In 4.0 Beginners will see preselected Hints. In the long run, the convenience of User Hints is far greater than the inconvenience of the odd incorrect Hint. The more experienced user will choose what fits, the beginner will only see appropriate Hints, and we will continue to try to eliminate incorrect Hints if we all work on this together.
  3. We may experiment with a longer introductory period, although previous experience has not shown this to generate more conversions. But we will try again once all of the 4.0 is in place.
  4. We have already increased reliability and expect that performance will be a lot better once everything is in place.
  5. We will also address the complication of the site, and introduce some early gratification through more gamification of the vocabulary activities, that will engage people earlier.

There is lots more to come. Stay tuned.

‘I would say any form of effective tuition delivered online within a reasonably flexible timescale would meet that description?’

As far as I can see the LingQ approach is quite unique in how laissez faire it is in essence; no prescription, no idea of a real ‘core’… just tools that help your brain do more efficiently what it in essence will do anyway … duolinguo comes close but depends on translation unfortunately.

Of course adults can choose as they like. I am just suggesting the source of the troublesome feeling is an internalised dependent mentality wit regards to learning… I cannot see how reading and making flashcards could be a more simple approach. The blockage comes from the desire for a more interesting narrative within which to couch their ‘quest’.