About "cockney" and language learning

Steven Garner from London told me some interesting things about the ‘cockney’ accent.
If you are interested in this topic, you can read my interview with him using this link:

You want to learn Cockney, Evgueny?

Wehw nah, oy guessyer’l avter get ahn the ol’ dog’n’bone an’ tawk to-im! :slight_smile:

Oh, interesting. And what does it mean? I undestood only some words maybe: avter, get, dog’n’bone - but not the whole sentence.

Dog and Bone means phone. You cant really translate it. But that is what is so interesting. “aver got a dog n bone”
Could be understood as I am on the phone. It could all be translate as bone =“phone”

This is not to be confused with the phrase “Ive got a bone to pick with you” The phrase “I have got a bone to pick with you” means that you are not have with that person.

But Jay was very clear in his “ahn”, ie that he had to get onto the blower to talk to him:)

What is the relationship between cockney and posh?

For example, what would be “Wehw nah, oy guessyer’l avter get ahn the ol’ dog’n’bone an’ tawk to-im! :-)” in posh?

Thank you!

My posh days are long gone and, in any case, posh is more a sound than a question of vocab. In this case, though: “I say, I shall have to get him on the phone and have a word with him” will do nicely, don’t you agree? :slight_smile:

@Evgueny

I’m not an expert on Cockney! It’s just my estimation of how it sounds.

= well now, I guess you’ll have to get on the “dog and bone” (phone) and talk to him!

My (humble) suggestion for the “posh” version:

“Well now, you’ll really have to get on the jolly old telephone and have a word with him, won’t you old boy?”

But it has to be pronounced in a classic Oxbridge drawl! A nice example of that would be Michael Fassbinder in the infamous English spy scene of the film “Inglorious Basterds”, where he switches from German to English shortly before going out with a bang! :slight_smile:

(English starts at time 1:10)

It has been said that some 江戸っ子(Tokyoites) cannot pronounce the “ひ”(hi) sound. You might notice that “お姫様(princess)” is pronounced “おしめさま”(o-shi-me-sa-ma, Miss Nappy).

The Englishness of H-Dropping

If so, I definitely prefer posh to cokney.