A power user shares his advice on using LingQ and finding content

I’m taking a break from Youtube videos and trying the extended reading w/ Audiobook. I’m starting out with a funny take on the history of the world but the first chapter is just loaded with geologist/archaeologist/paleontologist words that make half the page solid blue in new words. I could care less about 90% of those words but there are other words sprinkled amongst those that I am interested in checking/understanding. I’m using the hotkeys to try and tap through all the words as fast as possible to keep up with the narrator but ya it’s quite difficult/mostly impossible so far to keep up so I was just wondering if you had a habit to go back after a chapter / lingq lesson was completed and verify which words you want to re-check because you only had a split second to check it during extended reading in a book that was painted with blue words such as this. Or were you truly happy to just keep going?

I never went back for words, I only ever went back for sections that I felt were important and I wasn’t fully understanding. Those I would read 2-3 times. This was usually in the beginning, end or climax of a story. Sometimes those sections were just a few pages, sometimes entire chapters. A good(?) example was when I read Midvinterblod… I had to re-read the last 25% of the book because I realized I had no clue who the killer was!

The one situation I would look up a word was if I had seen it at least 3 times and knew it was specifically that word I needed to understand something. I do actually this actually more now, but just with monolingual dictionaries.

And yes, it was literally for a couple months a literal race to sit and try to turn blue words gold before turning the page. I almost never use the web app, but with X and K it can go pretty fast. The one thing I don’t like in 4.0 is that pressing enter tends to turn the page rather than simply making a LingQ.

Lol no different than myself reading books in English my entire life. It’s only natural for this to apply to any language one reads!

Got it, I’ll try to let go then as it were to get the word count up per hour. I feel like this will be somewhat similar to how people describe practicing meditation.